Question for breeders, or those in the know

Thread: Question for breeders, or those in the know

DefaultQuestion for breeders, or those in the know

This is a general, generic question.

What is ACA, American Canine Association? I think I know the answer, but want to hear from someone.

Also, a dog that's ACA, can it be registered AKC also? I thought not, but can it?

Last, when a breeder completes forms, either for ACA, or AKC, if one charges someone $50 to complete forms/paperwork, is that unusual?

I'm asking for someone who just got a puppy. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question for breeders, or those in the know

There seem to be a lot of dog registries popping up these days. The reason for them is simple - money. Many of them will register a dog that the AKC won't. Many people want a "registered" dog without a clue as to what that means, or what registry is involved.

As far as paying the breeder for the paperwork to register a dog - I've never heard of such a practice.

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Labsrme

As far as paying the breeder for the paperwork to register a dog - I've never heard of such a practice.*

When I was younger my moms friend got us a golden retriever for Christmas and they wanted an extra $150 for the AKC paper work

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

ACA is a puppymill registry. And no, they can't be registered with AKC if they are ACA first. The "breeder" would have had to registered the litter with the AKC in order to get them registered with the AKC. The only way they can register the dog with AKC now is through an ILP. But since they won't be breeding this dog (RIGHT?), it doesn't really matter does it?

Rider is registered with the Contental Kennel Club (ConKC---GASP! Before I learned better) and has an AKC ILP # to compete in performance events.

If the persons were charging a lot for a dog and then charging for paperwork, that is hogwash. Sounds like a nice fat BYB to me...just like those asshats that charge more for a female versus a male. Sounds like your friends getting hosed.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

LOL....I like Dani's reply. It's all true.

I guess I can see the breeder charging the fee and doing the registration for you, if the amount was the same as if you did it yourself. But heck, then just doing it yourself.

I would stay away from any registry other than UKC and AKC if in the states.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

And CKC in Canada!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Katy Guest

I dunno but your Tucker is quite the hunk!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Yup, Dani's right. Puppy mill registry. For people who can't or won't provide the data required by the AKC.

First, thanks for the comment that Tucker's a hunk...he'll be embarrassed :-[ ;D

Everything you've all told me confirmed what I thought about ACA. I just saw a new puppy today a young couple got...they live next to us. We have few homes near, but we do have these young neighbors next to us. Telling me about this puppy (not lab, g. retriever), the 'breeder' registered the pup with ACA 'for them', is sending in the paperwork to AKC, then will send them their paperwork so they can also register the puppy with AKC (but why would you want to register with AKC if they're already registered with ACA...these were the breeders words to these kids), and the 'breeder' charged them an extra $50 for doing the paperwork for them. She's supposed to mail the AKC forms to them in a week or two. I explained to them a bit about AKC registration, and a few other things.

This dog isn't a purebred golden, but these kids don't know it. They think it is. They're nice kids, so I think I'm gonna talk to them about their puppy...especially about getting her spayed when the time comes. They have 3 other dogs, and 2 are intact. That puppy will be an accident waiting to happen. I'm not saying at all that this puppy won't be a great pet; she probably will be. I just feel so bad that these kids were told things that aren't true and they don't know the difference....I wouldn't have either in my early 20's.

Their brittany spaniel comes to our place every day. Nice dog, I like him, and don't mind. But I don't want the new one getting into the habit...she followed me back to our property, and they didn't do or say anything. :-\ They tend to let their dogs roam, and don't keep them in their own yard much of the time.

I'm going to have a neighborly talk with them, and if I can, without hurting feelings, tell them the difference in ACA and AKC. That's why I asked here, to make sure, because they were asking me these things.

Thanks again