? for those with 2 or more Labs

Thread: ? for those with 2 or more Labs

Default? for those with 2 or more Labs

We have very seriously been considering getting a brother for Riley. We have been to visit a litter twice now (they are now 4 weeks or so). I would love for her to have a playmate and I would love to have another dog. However, I am having some concerns. SU says that he doesn't think my concerns are valid, but I want to hear from all of you who have already been there.

We do not have any kids, so right now Riley is basically my baby. SU is a pilot, so he is gone at least 50% of the time. Riley and I have a wonderful bond. One that I couldn't have ever imagined having. My worry is that if we do go forward and add a new puppy to the family, will my relationship with her change? Will she bond more with the other dog than with me? Clearly I want her to bond with the new pup, but I don't want our relationship to change. I know that we will need to devote alone time strictly to each of the dogs, especially Riley when the pup first comes aboard.

Maybe all of this will sound silly to some of you, but I don't want to make a decision that I'm going to regret later. Please, ANY thoughts you could lend would be most appreciated. TIA

BTW, we went to see the pups again yesterday. OMG my heart about melted. I will try to post a couple of pictures later on today or tomorrow (SU has the camera with him right now).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: ? for those with 2 or more Labs

I hate to be the one to break your heart but yes your relationship WILL change! BUT not that much, unless you let it!
    Maggie is my BABY and always will be my baby. I do give Maggie alone time with me first thing in the morning with out Dakota around. That was ALWAYS are alone time. But Maggie LOVES having Dakota around... Most of the time. our Relationship hasnt changed all that much, Dakota is just added in there most of the time also.
    Good luck!

I have 6 labs and all of them bonded with me. They love having brothers and sisters to play with; but ALL of them want to be where mommy is first and foremost. Right now, they are all scattered at someplace around my feet as I sit at the computer. Good luck in your decision. I think you will just get double the love!! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If you had children you'd already know the answer to that question. You fall deeply in love with your first child. When you have a 2nd child, you don't love the first any less. You love the 2nd one just as much. You don't have a finite amount of love to give. It grows as long as you allow it.

Murray and I have a very close bond. When I got Essy she bonded more to me than to my daughter (she's supposed to be my daughter's dog). Now she's my shadow just as much as Murray is. She will pick on Murray to get him to jump up and chase her then she will quickly grab his spot (near me). They also have a relationship with each other (like big brother/little sister) and that's so much fun to watch. Sometimes Murray gets grouchy at Essy trying to hone in on his territory but for the most part they share everything without issue including me and who doesn't love double the Labbie lovin'. ;D I don't think our relationship has changed except that now it includes the little pest too.

I say go for it and get a second that just that more love you will get. and then you will give more and I think that you will love the play that you will have in the house. and think of the walks with two labs instead of you walking one dog you will have 2 labs walking you.

Can you get a second dog at any time? Our Maui is only 3 mo. old but I have a feeling that in about a year I am going to want another lab. As long as I socialize Maui OK, should that be a problem?

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Parafly9
    Can you get a second dog at any time? Our Maui is only 3 mo. old but I have a feeling that in about a year I am going to want another lab. As long as I socialize Maui OK, should that be a problem?
    It all depends on the puppy/dogs you have now. With Dakota I know I could get another puppy right now and be fine. With all my dogs before I wouldn't have attempted it till after they turned 2. Maggie had just turned a 2.5 when we got Dakota.
    Training on your first puppy/dog has A LOT to do with when and how soon you can/should get a new puppy, along with temperament and socialization around other dogs.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We have 3. Added the 2nd when the first was 18 months. Added the 3rd three years later. All our dogs were well socialized and obedient so we experienced no trouble bringing in the new pups.

We also worried if Hudler would feel bad about a new pup, but we made sure that he got plenty of attention and alone time and he liked having Maddy around. Now that we have three, it's still easy enough to manage. Walks are hard, there is more poop, but they all bonded with me and my husband. They each demand attention at their own times, and I do different things for them at different times of the day....

Funny, my in laws are in town and we gave them our room. I am in the guest room, and my hubby is in the basement on an inflatable bed. I always thing the dogs love him more, but all three of them sleep with me in the guest room. Maddy on the bed with me, like always, and the other two on the floor. It's fun to be the center of attention for a pack of big dogs.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Here is my 2cents worth. I am very close to Rush, she has always been a mommy's girl. When we adopted Boo, I made sure I gave Rush her own time, and believe it or not, we are closer. Boo is a daddy's girl so that worked out well. Rush loves having Boo to play with, and while they don't spend every waking minute together, they spend alot of time playing together. I still have a wonderful relationship with Rush and another great relationship with Boo. Rush was 2.5 when we got Boo and Boo was 7.5 weeks. My opinion for what it's worth, I say get another. It gives them someone on their own level to interact with.

Thank you to all of you that have told your experiences! I really do appreciate it. Your comments have boosted my confidence in the decision I was already pretty sure I was going to make. We'll be going back out to see the litter again within the next two weeks.

They had a rough last week, so they are a bit behind in weight and size right now, but they are healthy and will catch up. Poor mama ended up with mastitis. Everyone is healthy and happy now though.

Off to go check out prices for a new crate