How long/often is socialization necessary?

Thread: How long/often is socialization necessary?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultHow long/often is socialization necessary?

Sami is 14 months old.* She's been very well socialized -- loves all dogs, cats, and people.* However, this summer she's not been around other dogs much.* Our dog park has no shade and it's just too hot to take her.* She hasn't even seen her usual pal Toby because he's been away on a long vacation.*

So that brings me to my questions ... is socialization something that needs to be done for a lifetime?* Or are there critical periods when it's a must and the rest of the time it's just reinforcement?* How long is too long to go without dog-to-dog play?

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How long/often is socialization necessary?

This is a really good question; I'm looking forward to seeing the answer.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

So that brings me to my questions ... is socialization something that needs to be done for a lifetime? Or are there critical periods when it's a must and the rest of the time it's just reinforcement? How long is too long to go without dog-to-dog play?
    The critical socialization period is for the first few months of life. I don't know the exact amount of time (I'm sure someone can dig up a scientific article for you, or maybe a breeder will chip in with the answer) but I would say that the whole 6-12 months of life is also also pretty critical but in a different sense.

How long is too long to go without dog-on-dog play? for an young adult dog (12 months onwards) I don't think it will cause any damage in terms of socialization if they go without seeing another dog for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't allow this to happen to a puppy but an adult dog can cope IMO.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

As usual Trickster has the right answer. You should introduce your dog to as many different experiences as possible before its 20 weeks old. After that the dog may be wary of trying something new. The fact that your dog has been socialized he won't become unsocialized.
    Olie