help help help...why is she not eating????

Thread: help help help...why is she not eating????

Defaulthelp help help...why is she not eating????

well, let me break down exactly what is happening...Because I am at a loss...Daffy is 6-7 months old ( born last Feb) up to date on all shots and ussually in great spirits, eats well, swims, very submissive, an all around GREAT girl...a week ago she started hacking pretty bad, I brought her into work with me ( I am a vet tech) and she had kennel cough, she goes to work with me alot, so this was understandable, we have had alot of kennel cough lately. I put her on Temeril-P (steroid) and Amoxicillan (500MG). She was doing well, coughing stopped after one day of meds. A few days later she stopped eating ( she ussualy eats Science Diet Growth for Large breeds mixed with one can science diet puppy) then the next day she stopped drinking. I brought her back into work, no fever, no obvious obstructions, no pain when palpated. When she is home she is either with full run of house if I or my husband is here, or in her kennel, which is in the living room, with her blanket. She is never unsupervised outside. There is no pesticides or insectisides, especially since I have a one year old son. Today she began vomiting pure foam, nothing left in her stomach but bile. I went back into work and gave her a shot of reglan ( for nausea) a shot of B12 (for energy) 50cc of Sub-Q fluids ( for re-hydration) and some STAT (for appetite) I gave this to her about noon today. Tonight she drank some water (YAY!!) but then I offered her some wet food with bacon grease on it heated up, she burried it in her blanket. I am very worried about her. I am going to run a CBC on her tomorrow, but I hoping that someone will have something that will help, advise, anything...THANX!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: help help help...why is she not eating????

Sorry I don't have any answers. Sure hope you figure out what is wrong. Daffy is a cutie.

Brookville, Pa.

No advice but I hope Daffy is feeling better soon.

When Cinnamon wouldn't eat dog food because she was sick she would eat chicken if hand fed. You might try that the bacon and kibble might be to much for her tummy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

OK, not a vet tech and totally taking a wild guess here, but...could she be constipated?

I ask because I remember taking Amoxycillin once for strep, and it's the only time in my life I have ever, um, had that problem. And let me tell you, eating was out of the question. I was miserable. That's been 20 years ago now, and the memory still lingers. That's how bad it was.

Like I said, wild guess. But I do know that it's notorious to cause constipation in humans... ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I thought there might be something wrong with the poop situation too, but I followed her all around the yard today (looked a little silly in the process) and she is pooping...not runny, not too hard, but normal poo (if there is such a thing)...she is peeing too, though just a little...she did drink some more water a few minutes ago though...Is it possible that she could feel like this if she is coming into her first heat? I know I feel yucky that time of the month....( thinking of anything at this point)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Hmmm... ???

How is her overall energy level? How long has she been refusing food? Is she still on the Amoxycillin?

I would ask if you have checked for parasites and all that jazz, but I just feel like it has something to do with the meds, since it sounds like happened only a couple of days after starting them.

I dunno! I hope you can get it figured out tomorrow!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Another possibility is her age.

My Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) gradually increased her food intake from about a cup a day at 9 weeks to 5 cups/day at 8 months.

Then she stopped eating for a day or two.

When she began again, she only ate 4 cups/day.

Then the same thing happened again.

And again.

Puff currently eats 2 ½ cups/day.

Puff is one of the rare and remarkable "self-regulating"* 10% of Labs whose food intake
    she imposes limits on.

When Labs reach about 80% of their adult weight, their need for food declines.

Maybe that's what's happening with yours?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Another possibility is her age.

My Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) gradually increased her food intake from about a cup a day at 9 weeks to 5 cups/day at 8 months.

Then she stopped eating for a day or two.

When she began again, she only ate 4 cups/day.

Then the same thing happened again.

And again.

Puff currently eats 2 ½ cups/day.

Puff is one of the rare and remarkable "self-regulating" 10% of Labs whose food intake
    she imposes limits on.

When Labs reach about 80% of their adult weight, their need for food declines.

Maybe that's what's happening with yours?
    that is really interesting...I know that she is currently at 47.6 lbs and is 6.5 months old, so maybe that could be it...I know that I can not think of anything else that it could be, that is why I asked about going into heat causing it...thanx for that idea, I hope that is it...

I was going to say are you sure she didn't swallow any socks....but if she is pooping...
    I split the days food portion into morning and evening meals....it is not uncommon, especially during the summer months for her to decide not to eat in the morning....Of course I worry like a mother hen when she does this, but then usually she will eat the evening meal....
    I think I would do some blood work, just to be on the safe side. But if she throws up or stops pooping I think an X-ray would be in order...
    Debbie