That was much harder than I expected
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: That was much harder than I expected

DefaultThat was much harder than I expected

After thinking things over this past week and weekend, I decided to leave Jes behind at my parent's house. He had grown quite comfortable there over the past year and half. I know it was only a week for him to adjust, but I could just tell that he had become accustomed to living in a house as opposed to an apartment. Seeing him play around at home this weekend and patrol "his" backyard really made clear what I needed to do.

He has a fenced in backyard (he'll still remain inside) and my parents' Sheltie to play with. Mom is off of work by 4pm, and Dad is home for lunch everyday. Me, although I'm usually home by 5 or 6 and home at lunch, I'm usually studying, or have other things during the day. I just felt that he wasn't getting as much attention as he should be, or could be at home.

Mom and Dad are bringing him up to "visit" this weekend, and we have Labor Day off so I can go home then, then there's Christmas break, summer, etc so it's not like I'm giving him up (and I'm done for good with school in 3 years), but boy that doesn't make it any easier. It's pretty quiet without the little guy up here. :-\ Luckily, it's only a 1 1/2 hour drive back home from school.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: That was much harder than I expected

Sorry Nick. That sucks. I have been on my nutso schedule for the past 7 days and have 7 more to go and I haven't seen Rider in 2 days. I miss him a lot....but unlike you...I do get to see him in about 7 days.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

zgirls is offline Senior Member

Ah, Nick, I am sure it is hard without him......but you are such a great lab dad putting your fellow's needs before you own.....and as you say you will see him lots on holidays and then he will be you permanently when you finish school......
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

My husband had to do that with Saxon when he was in college. We had to do it again for 1.5 years when we first moved to Michigan and lived in an apartment. Saxon was very adaptable and took to it well - she seemed to understand even though it was very difficult for us. We got to move her up here in October and enjoyed the rest of our time with her. Time will fly and soon you will have Jes with you again.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I was in your position 30 years ago. I was in Europe for the summer and had to leave my Susy with Mom and Dad. When I got back, she didn't want to come back with me, and I couldn't blame her. I left her alone all day while I was at work whereas my parents were retired and stayed with her all day, and they had a large fenced-in yard. It was not heartbreaking at all because I knew my mom and dad loved her as much as I did, and she loved them.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

That has to be hard, Nick. It says a lot about you that you tried to figure out what Jes wanted and then honored that, no matter what your preference might be.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh man. I hurt for you, Nick, but I know Jes will be in grand hands with mom. You've got a lot to focus on now. Maybe mom will teach Jes to send you emails.

Seamus and Flynn

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Had Jes come with you, not only would he be in a small apartment w/o a yard, but you'd be so busy studying and at class. Just remember how lucky Jes and you are to have your parents to care for him!! You know he's well cared for and loved. He'll always be your dog tho Nick!!

Best of luck to you!! I know you'll do great.

labby is offline Senior Member

That has to be hard. One of the reasons why I didn't go to vet school was because I didn't want to leave my dog behind.

Laura

That was a very mature and selfless thing to do. He's always there if you want to bring him up for a few days and you know he's in excellent hands!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast