Happy Gotcha Day Simon! (August 21)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Gotcha Day Simon! (August 21)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultHappy Gotcha Day Simon! (August 21)

Technically it's tomorrow, but since I know I won't have time then I'm posting today.

Oh Simon. It was truly fate that we met.

When Angus turned a year old, I started hanging around the Nashville Humane Association, looking for a little brother or sister for him. The first weekend I was there, there were so many dogs. I went into the kennel with each of them and spent some time. I probably saw nine or ten dogs that day, and while they were all precious, none of them seemed just right.

I saw them all before I finally went into your kennel. I was getting tired and hot. You were a little scrawny, and a little plain, but I thought, "I must give everyone here a fair shake and a good opportunity to show me their personality." So into your kennel I went.

Oh. Once I went in, my heart never left.

You were so cuddly and sweet. Unlike many of the other dogs, you were so calm, and just pushed your head into my tummy to accept petting. My heart melted. I thought maybe I had found the one.

But I did want to be very careful. So I went back again the next day, and spent time with everyone again, ending with you. You waited your turn very patiently, and when I took you out for a walk as soon as we left the building, you LEAPED straight into the air, as if to say, "THANK YOU!"

I loved you even more.

But still, I was cautious. Four more times I came to see the dogs over the week, and each time I saw less and less of the other dogs and more and more of you. I will never forget one day when I went to see you on my lunch hour. I was dressed in my work clothes. You were so excited when I came into your kennel that you sat in your water, then your wagging tail flung it all over my pants! I stood up quickly in surprise, and you calmed down so quickly and apologetically. You looked at me with big soft brown eyes and I could swear you said, "Oh, I'm so sorry. Please forgive."

Oh, how I was falling in love with you.

The following Saturday, a week after we first met, I was spending more time with you, walking you, always beginning our walk with your now-signature leap of joy. I discovered that day that the Humane Association was having a big event that evening, and several dogs would be participating in something called "Doggie Speed Dating." I asked if you would be one of them, and no one would tell me. :-\

I started to leave, and I went back inside when I realized I couldn't stand that I might come there tomorrow and you wouldn't be there. Someone else might take home MY dog! So, that's how it became clear to me. You were the one.

I asked them put a hold sign on your cage. A very bold move on my part, as Kevin had not even met you. Oh, he knew about you, but was still not completely sold on the idea of a second dog. But it was one of those times you know you have to do something, even though it makes no sense and is against your better judgement. My head said, "Why are you doing this?" My heart said, "You may not leave here without doing this." So...gulp...I did it.

I told Kevin and asked if he would come to meet you the next day. I told him I had chosen you for your personality, but I was very afraid he wouldn't think you were "pretty" enough. So I sort of prepared him for much worse. When he saw you, he thought you were not a bad-looking little guy at all. I pointed out that you and Angus would make a very handsome pair, and would be about the same size.

We deliberated in the lobby and in your kennel and outside with you for no less than two hours. Our adoption counselor fortunately had a lot of patience. And then, there we were, standing in the lobby, holding you on a leash, signing the papers!

I'll never forget that day, Simon! Or how you wound me around your little paw from the start. You still charm me with your gentle, silly ways. But the best thing you ever did for me was give yourself to me completely, to love and lavish with affection, at a time when I so needed to give something.

Here are a few pictures of that first day:

Minutes after you arrived:

Not sure what to think of each other:

Look how small Simon was!

A little nervous, but learning to relax:

What a little thing!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Happy Gotcha Day Simon! (August 21)

So hard to believe it's been a whole year Connie, wow, time flies. I need to step back and smell the roses more often I think. You know what's funny? I totally remember all your posts about "second dogs" and such, and maybe one post about going to the shelter. Then the second dogs posts became more frequent and we didn't hear anymore about the shelter visits, until..... Taaa daaa! lol That was pretty funny. I think we all suspected you were totally "up" to something.

So happy to see how Simon has blossomed in your care and love and warm household. And Angus with Simon too.

Wishing you, Simon, many more years of love and warmth and happiness.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Karina, that is SO funny! I remember that too now! I had totally forgotten! I did keep Simon a secret until he was home, and now I remember all those weeks of posts about "How do you like having two dogs?"

ROFL!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

What a lovely Happy Gotcha Day tribute to Simon.

Happy Gotcha Day for tomorrow, Simon. You have a great forever home.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Happy Gotcha Day Simon; you're in good company with Zoe's b'day and Cissy's Gotcha day, too!! ;D

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

Happy Gotcha Day, Simon!

I also remember your posts about visiting the kennel and I just knew you were going to cave in and bring home a bundle of love! That's certainly you, Simon!
    Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY SIMON!!!

I know it's only been a year but for some reason it seems like you have been around longer. It's hard to imagine pre-Simon days. Hugs to you.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Happy Gotcha Day Simon!

Great story & pictures HAPPY GOTCHA DAY SIMON!!

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast