Need some medical advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some medical advice

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed some medical advice

Duncan's been licking his right front paw for ...upon further inspection it looks as if the nail (entire nail) has lifted from the dewclaw. The area under the nail looks very pink. He's very black so it's hard to see exactly what the problem is. He's running and playing and not whiny but he is licking the paw (not all the time, just when relaxing).

I was thinking of putting Neosporin on the wound and bandaging, any suggestions??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need some medical advice

anyone ?????

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I'm no expert but I would at least try that especially if you can get him to keep the bandage on. I hope Duncan feels better soon.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My little angel actually let me wrap his paw. I put a generous amount of neosporin on a gauze pad and on his injury then wrapped it in "Tender Tape". This tape is sticks to itself. So far he's just relaxing on the rug. I don't know whether to remove it in a few hours or to leave it on till tomorrow. At least I know I got the anitbiotic creme in there to avoid infection. The neosporin also has pain reliever in it.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

awww good boy duncan :-*
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Quote Originally Posted by einsteins legacy
    upon further inspection it looks as if the nail (entire nail) has lifted from the dewclaw.* The area under the nail looks very pink.*

I was thinking of putting Neosporin on the wound and bandaging, any suggestions??

From your description I honestly am not sure if I am picturing what has happened.* I know sometimes with my dogs they can gets what looks like flakes coming off of their nails and that can sometimes go down into the quick, almost like the nail has split.* If this is what you are talking about the nail needs to be cit below the split so it doesn't keep getting caught.* However since he is not favoring it, I am not sure this is the case.* If it is the case then you have to get it trimed you might as well go to the vet.* It will HURT and BLEED since it is below the quick.

Either way neosporin certainly won't hurt but you will be lucky to keep a bandage on his leg for any length of time.* Usually any bandage on the foot is chewed off as soon as you stop watching, i.e. when you go to sleep.*
    Good Luck.
    I just saw that you got it bandaged. Good now just try and keep it on there. ;D*

I really don't believe it's a split nail, I've never seen an injury like this before, but since he's all black clarity isn't simiple. I compared the injured dewclaw to the healthy one on other paw and it does seem as if the nail itself separated from the skin. Oddly, there is no blood right now but there was a small amount on the bed earlier when we first noticed (only a tiny amount).

In the meantime he's bandaged and relaxing and was gingerly walking on the bandaged paw before. So far he's leaving the bandage alone, unusual, but Duncan is quite an unusual dog. At least I know that the neosporin has had a chance to penetrate by this time and I doubt he'll remove it overnight. If it were Jakie, (my yellow), that bandage wouldn't have lasted 5 seconds!

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I am also having difficulty picturing it...I know that the nail on J&A's sometimes kind of peels off...but it doesn't come off all the way; it is more like a papery cover.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

no peeling, just looks as if the whole darn nail lifted up. I'll take a photo tomorrow when I take off the bandage.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Ugh, I don't know! It sounds like something that should *really* hurt, but if it doesn't seem to be bothering him... ???

You could also use some EMT gel, I bet, if you had that. I really need to get some of that to have around...

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast