2 interesting things @ weekly LabFest today: black w/choc. color; heat exhaust'n

Thread: 2 interesting things @ weekly LabFest today: black w/choc. color; heat exhaust'n

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Default2 interesting things @ weekly LabFest today: black w/choc. color; heat exhaust'n

The temps have really*reduced our summer attendance at our weekly LabFests.* When they've been in the 100s we've often had only 3 Labs.*

Today, it was in the 80s in eastern Kansas and we had 6 Labs and 9 peeps (7 adults & 2 kids) in the shade of our pine grove on a knoll of a city park.

Jill & Jason's "Mattie" is a BF, the product of* Yellow and Chocolate parents.* Mattie had a definite chocolate cast to her coat.* Some hairs were chocolate.* Jill said that this occurs more prominently twice a year.* I thought it was an example of incomplete (genetic) dominance.* My previous Lab (Bess:* BF, AKC bench line, 55 lbs., 1967-81) had henna or auburn glints to her hair but this was the most obvious example of (what I take to be) incomplete genetic dominance.

One of our members has a BM Lab given him by Hill's SD (a Topeka company) for a long term nutritional study.* He came from a breeder about 300 miles away.* He's so dedicated (obsessed) with retrieving a Training Dummy* (TD) that when one is visible he won't play with other Labs, he just wants to retrieve.*

Because he's so obsessed with retrieving, his owner won't let let him retrieve until he plays at least 30-40 minutes with other dogs before throwing a* TD for him.* *

I didn't think he did any more retrieving than any of several other dogs we had there.* But about 45 minutes into our 60 minutes usual time, his BM started severely panting and his owner eventually decided to take him home early.* His Lab was very unsteady on his feet and staggered off toward their car.* Apparently he was very close to heat exhaustion.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 2 interesting things @ weekly LabFest today: black w/choc. color; heat exhau

Hmmm... if he is required to play with the other dogs for 30-40 minutes before retrieves, and he started panting and staggering 45 minutes into the regular 60 minute play session, that means he was only retrieving for 5 or 10 minutes. At 80 degrees, it certainly was a nice temp for a doggie fest. I wonder what may have happened during pre-retrieve play?

Any thoughts on the long term nutritional study? How long has your friend had his "subject"?

Seamus and Flynn

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 2 interesting things @ weekly LabFest today: black w/choc. color; heat exhaust'n

Nance --

He's had him since about 9 weeks of age.

I'm fairly sure they're using littermate control subjects on these dogs but it does make me wonder (from this) if they're using dogs from enough different breed lines.

"Duncan" is (like many Labs) obsessed with retrieving. If there's a training dummy visible, he wants to hold it in his mouth. He's fanatical.

I don't think Duncan had more than 20 minutes retrieving time --certainly no more than several others. But it seemed to affect him more severely.

Interesting.

This is a dimension I was not previously aware existed.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748