Brushing/Grooming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brushing/Grooming

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultBrushing/Grooming

Tell me what your brushing/grooming routine is!

I was just telling mom this morning, I never would have thought I would brush a dog. I always thought, OH, I only want dogs with short hair, because I do not want to have to brush! I am really amazed at how I have come to thoroughly enjoy brushing. We were coming home from agility class with Simon just now, and I was thinking, "Ooo, when I get home I'm going to brush him!" And this was actually exciting for me. ??? What is happening to me?

I brush both boys once a week, and try to do their nails every other week.

Simon needs occasional trimming between his toes for longer hair.

Anyone else have any fun grooming things that I could add to our repetoire? :P

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Brushing/Grooming

I love brushing too!! People usually think I'm nuts

I usually zoom groom until my arm hurts, then I spray with the 50/50 mix every few weeks (listerine and water) then I brush with a slicker type brush made by rubbermaid (that i love and can't find a new one lol). Then they smell good, they're less hairy and of course they're shiny! I try to do this at least a little bit every day or every other day.

Once a month the routine changes to, zoom groom, 50/50 mix, slicker, k9 advantix
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

daisyandwikismom is offline Senior Member

I try to brush mine whenever I can, it should be done daily especially with Wiki. He has very long hair compared to Daisy and seems to shed even more than her. He is funny though, as soon as I start brushing he wants to lay down and have his tummy done : Daisy just looks at me like I'm taking away from "her" time. Like she's got soooo much she needs to do. When i wash them their favorite part is being dried. They push their bodies into the towel, with their tail going a mile a minute. As for nails I let the vet do it. It's a lot easier for me otherwise it will take a couple of weeks to get one dog done!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

People think I'm nuts, but I LOVE when Emma sheds and I brush...and brush...and then I brush......and brush.. you know I don't know how to stop brushing, when I got the brush into my hand!!! ;D During the sheddings I use a rubber brush, which is very effective!

But of course I really love the time between the long sheddings too, then her beautiful coat has grown out and is so soft and the color is deep yellow with all light shades in her coat. And now, non shedding time, I use a soft brush and Emma just loves to be brushed!

I give her a shower with shampoo twice a year, or sometimes 3 times a year. I cut her nails every other week.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

I don't brush too often but today at the vet's office, he used a great grooming tool called an ergonomic stripper. Got tons of fur off Brodie. I might remove too much undercoat if you groomed too hard or often but it worked fine today on both dogs. Mira hates the sliker brush but liked this one.
    Here is a link - I have the 12 blade one. The fur is also easy to remove and stays in the tool vs. on the floor.
    http://www.petaroo.com/PhotoGallery....Code=TOP51506P

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I brush mine every now and then but don't make a routine out of it. I haven't needed to brush them in a couple of months because the shedding is manageable at the moment. It is only when one of them blows their coat that the shedding can get out of control.

labby is offline Senior Member

Laura

"Ooo, when I get home I'm going to brush him!" And this was actually exciting for me. What is happening to me? "
    freak!
    where's the quote button?
    *we haven't experienced the joy of a blown coat (yet)
    [/img]http://robeec.com/t&asketch.jpg[/img]

The only thing I do is use the ZoomGroom on Jes. I used to brush more frequently and extensively, but I don't anymore. Right now, he's shedding like crazy with the days getting shorter, so I've picked up on the brushing.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Laura:

Keep brushing this over the dog's coat until your arm feels like its going to fall off.

So, you think I should be using the Zoom Groom and then following up with the slicker? I don't have a rake...but you think the Zoom Groom works just as well?

I've just been using the Zoom Groom on Angus, and the slicker on Simon (whose hair is longer and softer and finer than Angus').

Also, I have been using the guillotine trimmers. Do you think the scissor style (or whatever you call them) are better? I wonder about this. I read something recently that said the guillotine style can pinch the nail more, and the other style is better for thicker nails (Angus' nails are super thick and grow like weeds).

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast