Heartworm in older labs-advice needed

Thread: Heartworm in older labs-advice needed

DefaultHeartworm in older labs-advice needed

I am thinking of adopting an 8-9 yr. old lab. I just found out he is heartworm positive and that now days people/vets are choosing not to treat it in older dogs. At least not the more aggresivve treatment. It's been said it's too hard on them.

Does anyone have a senior that is heartworm positive on the "preventative"?

I am upset I just found this out and I'm not sure what to do. I had too put my dog of 14 years to sleep in April and I do not want to go thru another illness like that.
    I am concerned that if I do adopt this dog that he will have a sudden onset or worse. He is not really showing any symptoms at the moment. I am getting his vet records on Monday.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Heartworm in older labs-advice needed

I know of senior dogs treated successfully for heartworm. I also believe, and hope if I'm wrong someone will correct me, that to give a heartworm positive dog heartworm pills could kill it. That is why dogs are tested every year.

I was told today that a lot of vets are opting to give the heart worm monthly meds and it is fine. I have heard that it kills the younger larvae. I really don't know that much yet, I am trying to get opinions from others that may have been in similar situations.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

No direct experience, but my brother rescued dogs in the past and two were heartworm positive. One, a younger GSD was given the treatment, but died at a relatively young age. The other, a husky mix, was not given the treatment, but put on the regular dose of Heartguard, and was eventually heartworm free and lived to be very old. (The vet estimated that he was about 7 when they adopted him, and they had him over 15 years before he passed.)

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I bet Joe Maringo would know, he loves the seniors. Joe??

Depends on how severe the heartworms are. When I was doing rescue, when there was one with a very mild case; you can treat them with monthly heartguard and it usually takes care of the problem. However, if it's in the advanced stages, I would not recommend it.
    I know a gal on the other lab board who had one recently treated and he is doing pretty good so far. I'm thinking this dog is older; Dani might remember. You could ask what she recently went through; go to www.lab-retriever.net and it's Shantis Mom (she also does rescue and works for a vet) so she is very knowledgeable on things like this.

Thanks for all the info and I have sent a message to Shanti's mom. I will be interested in her opinion.
    I am really anxious about getting his vet records tomorrow.