Well we just got back from the vet.

Thread: Well we just got back from the vet.

DefaultWell we just got back from the vet.

I woke up this morning and had Miss Moo go in the box and feed the babies, just like normal. Babies were fine and I helped some find some nips. Little while latter Miss Moo came out and laid down by the couch. I head a little whine. Didn't think much of it, the babies whine sometimes but then it was still whining so I went over and pick up the little girl and held her, talked to her and rocked her. (I can't help but rock them. I doubt it does much good but you put a baby in my arms, be it canine or human and I will rock it.) Anyway I was watching it and it seemed to have trouble breathing. So I called my vet and described the problem but since the trouble I had with my truck ( I will post about that in O&E) I didn't want to drive over an hour to see him so he reccomended I go see a local vet. So I did.

I went to (gasp) Bandfied. Sorry if there are any of you that go to Banfield, I just know a vet that works at one ( I used to work for him and he wasn't honest) and I use to work at Petsmart and didn't like what could hear them tell their clients. And I from what I could hear the receptionist tell the clients while I was there this one wasn't much better BUT it was the closest vet to the house and since breathing is one of the ABC's I went there. (ABC's Airway, Breathing, Circulation - firstaid/CPR training - works great for humans and dogs!!)

So I go in, sign the sheet and stand there. The receptionist is tells me since you don't have an appointment then my wait will me an hour or an hour and a half. I told her, in a very loud voice, we were have breathing problems so I guess we would wait. (The sign on the wall about seeing emergencies and sick animals first for the safely of all was obviously just there for decoration!) Anyway as I waited the puppy, (who since she is such a trouble maker is going to be hence forth called Vala Mal Doran, or Vala for short, and those who know me and my geeky obsession will understand where that name came from. ;D Oh and BTW Mr. Grumpy Eyebrows is Teal'c as he is STILL complaining when things don't go his way, like when it is time to eat and he still thinks it is nap time. ;D) So as we are waiting Vala is just fine. No breathing problems, no runny nose, no gasping for breath, no nothing. She is a little squirmy but when I wrap her up in her towel and put her head against my face so she can feel the vibrations when I talk to her she passes out and goes to sleep. So while we are waiting Vala is normalizes so when we go in the exam room she can make me look like an idiot. (I am training them well for their new homes. Nothing like having a dog hide symptoms when they do to the vet! LOL) Anyway we get called up and I tell the receptionist the problem. I am given an estimate. She then tells me to put the puppy on the scale without my towel and I say um... NO! and look at her like she is S-T-U-P-I-D!!! I don't want my 1 week old puppy touching the scale that every tom, dick and harry's dog can get on. So she gives me paper towels to put Vala on. Better than nothing but I still keep giving her the look of scorn. Then I am taken to a room and I see the nurse. I tell her what happened and she listens to Vala's heart and lungs and says from what she can hear everything is clear. So then they go get the vet and she comes in and before she listens she does clean her stethoscope with alcohol so I did like that. Again, given the all clear via the stethoscope. I could have done x-rays but since she was totally acting normal AND they are open tomorrow if this reoccurs then I will take her back for more testing. Since I brought her home Vala has eaten and is now sleeping with all the other puppies. No sign of any recurrence.

Totally shaking my head at what happend this morning. She was definitely NOT a happy camper this morning and having troubles but since she is sounding clean then all I can think of is that she was rolled while Miss Moo was getting out of the box or one of the other puppies mashed her by cawling on her or something. Either way I guess all's well that ends well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zgirls is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Well we just got back from the vet.

bless your heart....glad she seems to be doing better.......((((hugs)))
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

Kathryn Guest

Maggie went through the same thing in the first few days. She for one reason or another get, I guess you would say over excited and have trouble breathing.

When we took our puppies in to the vet we ALWAYS took them in a clothes basket or any kind of basket and had them weighed in that and then between my mom and I wed hold the puppies and then have the basket weighed.

I hope she will continue to be better!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Glad to hear that Vala is doing ok.

Quote Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
    When we took our puppies in to the vet we ALWAYS took them in a clothes basket or any kind of basket and had them weighed in that and then between my mom and I wed hold the puppies and then have the basket weighed.
    Yeah I had no trouble with the paper towels or another towel but just to want me to put the puppy on the scale, umm.... no, have you had any training? I have worked at more than one vets office and this was before I bred labs and I knew what precautions to take with newborns and very young puppies.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, that was a lot of excitement for one morning! I sure am glad it seems to have righted itself.

ABC's...good advice, I'll remember that!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

At least it's a happy ending. Probably didn't do anything for your heart rate.

Gosh, so glad she is okay!!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

So glad Vala is ok (love the name, too!).