Neighborhood Dogs (Two Stories)

Thread: Neighborhood Dogs (Two Stories)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeighborhood Dogs (Two Stories)

A couple of stories from walking the boys this week that I wanted to share. Seems like I don't have a lot of time to post during the week lately, so I have to save up for weekends.

One night we ended up taking the boys for their walk a little later than usual. We have a neighbor up the street who has two boxers. One of them once rushed Angus, and Kevin gave her a scolding, so she is very diligent now about keeping her on leash. She got another boxer puppy several months ago...he's getting close to a year now.

Well, when we saw them the other night, as we approached she yelled, "I've got one loose..." : Here comes Clyde, the puppy, barreling towards us. I saw that it wasn't Ginger, the one who had a problem with Angus, so I just stood there and let it happen. :-\

Clyde made it over to us and went belly to the ground in front of the boys. I started speaking to him in a friendly voice, thinking, "Oh, he's showing himself as so submissive, surely there will not be a problem." As soon as I began to speak Angus started having a little hissy. Growling and snapping and straining at the leash. Clyde seemed a little baffled. I gave the leash a pop and said, "EH EH!" and stepped in between them, turning Angus around and heading away saying, "Let's go!" in as confident and cheerful a voice as I could manage. Kevin said I handled it well, but my legs were like jello afterwards. :

I still feel unsure about how to handle these situations and just rely mostly on gut reactions, what feels right at the time. I'm not sure what I would have done if Clyde would have become aggressive as well.

Angus doesn't do this with *every* dog he sees on a leash, but he does always only do it while he is on a leash. I wondered if perhaps he remembered that there was a boxer involved in the Mastiff attack, and now associates boxers with something unpleasant. Or maybe it was the way Clyde came barreling up, like a crazy puppy.

And now, a happy story! ;D

Do you remember me telling you guys about Lucy, the Rottweiler, and her owner, Danielle? Danielle and Lucy CRACK me up. Lucy is this huge, blocky truck of a dog. I always refer to Danielle as the perfect Rottweiler owner, because she has that girl wrapped around her finger. Lucy defers to her in everything. Danielle has a very commanding presence, and it just is so hilarious to see the way she controls this giant of a dog with just her voice. Lucy is not trained in obedience or anything like that, but she is so, so submissive to Danielle. I adore Lucy. She reminds me a great deal of Crash, especially her body language.

Anyway, last night we were walking past Danielle's house and we saw them in their front yard with a little golden ball of fluff. What is this??? We went over to see, and they have a brand new Golden Retriever mix that she rescued from the NHA, same place we got Angus and Simon. They named him "Auburn." ;D

Oh. My. Gosh. I cannot tell you how adorable this puppy is. He is a mix with a few little white markings here and there, but he has those unmistakable soulful Golden eyes. Ahhhhh. I wanted to eat him up.

She let him down to meet the boys (probably not something I would've done with a young puppy, but what the hell? ) Angus was very inquisitive but sweet. Simon was HILARIOUS! This little puppy was chasing him around on his leash, and when he would get close to Simon, Simon would jump as though he had been goosed! He alternated between those little silly jumps and rolling around on his back. He was having the time of his life.

Now Danielle has two of my top five breeds. I cannot wait to watch little Auburn grow up!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Neighborhood Dogs (Two Stories)

I bet Angus probably associates Boxers with something bad and that was what caused the reaction. Others more knowledgeable probably can shed more light on this but it would be my guess. I would have done the same thing. When I house sat for friends earlier this summer and cared for their then 7 month old Golden, there was a house that had both a Boxer and Rotweiler. They were not the friendliest of dogs, and Molly is the sweetest thing. I kept a lookout and did like you did.

I would love to have seen that little pup chasing Simon. that's a hoot! I bet it brought some good laughs too! They bring us lots of joy at the most unexpected times!