Multiple dogs and collars....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple dogs and collars....

DefaultMultiple dogs and collars....

We will be bringing home an Aussie Puppy the middle of Sept. Our Lab is 9. My question is, does anybody keep collars on their dogs when thay are by themselves...I had a situation a few years back when we had our Collie...we had collars on both dogs..and our Lab Katie came down with a cough....well found out about the same time that our Collie had figured out how to grab Katies collar,(this was a regular nylon buckle collar of course) and um lead her around...so collars came off....Katie went to vet just to be sure that the cough was just from her collar being pulled up around her neck by the Collie and that she didn't have kennel cough (which she did not) So after that, the collars always stayed off. The dogs were both micro chipped...but I still hate not having a collar with I.D. on. I never had this problem with the 2 dogs I had before these 2. So...puppy will be comming soon, I do plan on micro chipping ASAP but I hate the thought of leaving my dogs without their collars with their I.D.'s are visable. We have a block wall...but my husband has once or twice forgot to close the back gate...in the 20 years that we have had dogs....I just feel better with the collars on, but it's like darn if you do, and darn if you don't. I plan on keeping them seperated for a couple of weeks anyway, except for supervised time together, until puppy gets a little bigger (she will be 7 weeks when we bring her home) and I'm sure Katie will not play to rough....
    With everyone getting new puppies this is a great time for us and Katie has been without her buddy Bandit for a year now..so I"m hoping she will think this is a good idea when we bring this girl home...(fingers crossed!)
    Debbie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Multiple dogs and collars....

Debbie, I am much like you. I HATE the idea of the boys not having ID. They are not outside unless we are at home, but you just never know. For example, a few weeks ago a tree fell on our fence (unbeknownst to us), and knocked out two of the pickets. I put them in the backyard after we got home from an outing with them, and next thing I know a neighbor comes over and says, "Ummm, your dogs are out." Thankfully it was just Simon, and he came running right back in the hole from which he left when I went to the backyard and called him.

But neither of them wears collars. Oh, they have collars coming out the yingyang, but they never have them on unless I have them out at dog class or on an outing.

BECAUSE...

A few months ago the boys were in the kitchen with me, playing bitey-face as usual. My back was to them, but they were only about three feet away. Suddenly, the noise level went up several notches, and it sounded like it had gotten very serious, very quickly.

I turned around and saw my worst nightmare. Angus' jaw was stuck underneath Simon's collar. I made it to them in one leap, but the way Angus was positioned and Simon was sort of on his side/back, I couldn't find the buckle to release it. And every time I let go of Angus, he flailed, choking Simon harder. I was just trying to hold Angus still and keep him from choking Simon to death. Simon was looking up into my eyes like, "Please help!"

I have never felt so afraid and so powerless.

All this lasted but a few seconds, but it seemed like it was happening in slow motion. Simon's anal glands expressed, he was so terrified. About the time that Kevin caught onto there was something happening that I might need his help with, the collar miraculously broke. It was one of those kind with the plastic buckle, and it just gave way.

So, obviously there are no more collars for the boys. I absolutely hate that they have no visible ID in case something did happen, but the way they play I certainly can't risk this happening again, especially if I wasn't standing three feet away. It was horrifying for all involved.

Mine are microchipped too, of course, but how many people would know to check that if they happened to find a wandering dog? :'(

My solution has been no collars, and no backyard unless we are home. :-\

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

No collars at home ever. Even a trip to the vet I use slip leads. All dogs are microchiped. The only time I use collars is when we go out of town and take the dogs with me. If you are worried people don't know that your dog is microchipped you can always get something that indicates your dog is microchipped tattooed in their ear.
    Cheers!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If you are worried people don't know that your dog is microchipped you can always get something that indicates your dog is microchipped tattooed in their ear.
    Hmmm...I hadn't thought of that. Do you know people who have done that?

Connie and "The Boys":

labby is offline Senior Member

My dogs only wear collars when they are traveling. Each collar has a tag with their info on it and another tag that carries their microchip info on it.

Laura

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy and Cricket are always collar free in the house and in the fenced in yard.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    If you are worried people don't know that your dog is microchipped you can always get something that indicates your dog is microchipped tattooed in their ear.
    Hmmm...I hadn't thought of that. Do you know people who have done that?
    Yes on the ear or on the inner thigh. I haven't but it can be done. Best person to ask is either your vet or someone at your local KC. Usually someone there has a tatoo set.
    They can put in something short, sweet and too the point.
    m-chip
    mchip
    m-chipped
    [Check mark symbol] 4 m-chip
    scan 4 mchip

I don't use the collars for the same reason you stated. My 2 dogs were playing while I was cleaning the yard and I heard one choking. I was just a child at the time and the collars at the time were buckle style and I was too young to pull it tighter to unbuckle it plus it was too tight to pull any tighter. The one dog, Ginger was panicking and pulling back and the other dog Beau was dying from choking. Ginger managed to get her teeth under the collar and the collar twisted around them. A friend of the familiy was over and heard my screams and ran for a knife to cut the collar and while she was gone some how Ginger managed to get her teeth out and I grabbed the collar off of Beau. Fortunenty he survived but he had 2 black eyes and his third eye lids in both eyes swelled and had to have ointment to keep them moist while the swelling went down.

Hence no collars in my house. And what collars I do use are snap release or slip leads. Tags have dogs call name, my name and my cell phone number, my vets number and my sisters number and my parents number. On the back has the microchip information. I do not put my address on the tag as I have heard dishonest people can use it for dishonest reasons. I can't remeber what they are but after all those numbers someone I trust will be able to get a hold of my dogs. I put my vet's number on there in case the dog is injured. My vets knows that they can take care of my dogs without any worries of cost and I will pay them back even if I have to clean cages even if they can't get a hold of me.

I am going to stop rambling now. :-X

I too have worried about collars on the kids when I'm not home - now I think they will be staying off. We have had them get the tags caught in the deck - fortunately they were able to free themselves but pulling and breaking the link holding the tags. It isn't that hard to put them on when it's potty time or outside play time. I like the idea of a tattoo to let people know to check for the microchip - Skye has eaten, yes eaten, her micro chip ID tag twice now!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Collars are always off in the house and yard. They only get put on for walks or any other time we leave the house where I know they will be off leash. The only exception is when we are field training. If we are just going out to the vets or whatever (when they won't be loose) I also use a slip rope lead...no collar. If are going off leash (2/3 times a day) they ALWAYS have visible ID in the the form of collar/tags...I would never take them off leash without visable ID.

Trickster, me too. Whenever we take the boys to the lake or old neighborhood, they always have collars.

izzy, OMG, what a horrible experience for a little child! You poor thing! That must have been so terrifying. :'(

We have both our cell #s on ours, and our vet's number. I never go anywhere without my cell, and neither does Kevin. And our vets, too, would absolutely know to go ahead and treat without confirmation from me. At least I think so. I will make sure next time I go in.

Mooselady, I had a similar experience with Crash and him getting his tag caught in the deck slats. Scared me to death. I had to free him. Poor boy...he was panicking, but so calm when I came near. He became very still and let me untangle him.

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast