Lab's Memory
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab's Memory

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultLab's Memory

What are some of the most convincing anecdotal pieces of evidence you can share about your lab's power of memory.

I have a few that have always impressed me. One of which is that I can take Cappy to an area that he hasn't hunted for a couple of years and yet he will invariably head directly to a spot(s) where he located game birds the last time we were there. How can he possibly have committed that spot to memory and after not being there for 2 years or longer, "remember it" to be productive the last time he hunted it.

Oh, and speaking of memory ... I heard this one the other day:

A young man was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from college.
    While he was walking through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant
    standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed so the man approached it very carefully. He got down on one knee and inspected the elephant's foot. There was a large thorn deeply embedded
    in the bottom of the foot.

As carefully and as gently as he could he worked the thorn out with his hunting knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot. The elephant turned to face the man and with a rather stern look on its face,
    stared at him. For a good ten minutes the man stood frozen -- thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned and walked away. The man never forgot that elephant or
    the events of that day.

Twenty years later the man was walking through the zoo with his teenaged son. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to where they are standing at the rail. The large bull elephant stared at him and lifted it's front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times, all the while staring at the man. The man couldn't help wondering if this was the same elephant. After a while it trumpeted loudly; then it continued to stare at him. The man summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder.

Suddenly the elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of the man's legs and swung him wildly back and forth along the railing, killing him.

Probably wasn't the same elephant.

:
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab's Memory

i don't have a memory story to stare, but you got me with the elephant story. LOL!

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Love the elephant story. lol
    My first lab/golden mix Phoenix was the smartest dog I've ever met. We would go up to Long Island every summer to spend several weeks at the beach. Every year when we arrived she would get out of the car and walk herself to the beach for a swim. We stayed about 100 yards from the beach on a private sand road from which you could not see the water. After that first swim of the year she would wait for me to go down to the beach each day. Now how did she remember?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

It always amazes me that Morgan can find the spot we dock the boat all winter long - even tho the boat and the dock are no longer in the water - and he also knows where the back staircase to "his area" is at the hotel we stay at in the winter!

elephant....good one ;D

I don't have long-term memory stories, mine 1 1/2 yrs., but it's always interesting to watch him when we do things...hide 'n seek, for example: when he's searching, he'll always remember places I hid before, even a long time ago, inside, or out in the fields and search those places while looking for me.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

My girl surprises me every day with her memory! Emma remember where the petstores are... She also remember lots of walks and you can never fool her , she knows the road we came from and I have never been lost with her as my company!

And I just read about a yellow lab female, named Taya, who is now dead who had 151 toys and could the all names for each toy! (she picked out the right toy her mom asked for). Now she is buried under her lawn and she is surrounded with all 151 toys of hers! N ow her mom has another lab, who has 39 toys and she can each name for them!

They are so smart our dogs, aren't they!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Emma the Lab
    They are so smart our dogs, aren't they!
    Never ceases to amaze me the things they can remember!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

When Wesley was a pup, we were walking in our neighborhood and he put his foot 'through' the slatted grates of a storm drain. He didn't fall or anything, but he did turn slightly, so that the paw no longer cleared the slats. And he couldn't get his foot out. Cue the major crying and panic.

To this day he will avoid those EEEEevil storm grates like the plague.

And on a sadder note, he remembers my Dad's car. After my Dad passed away, we brought the car to our house to sell it. Wesley BOUNDED toward it during a walk, convinced that my Dad was somehow near (Wesley LOVED my Dad, and the feeling was mutual). He was so disappointed to find that Dad wasn't in the car..... :-[

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Nice stories.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

LOVE the elephant story! ;D

Theo hadn't seen his Best Friend in the Whole Wide World, Saba, for 18 months. When she and her human mom came to visit, when the car pulled up and they got out, Theo started butt-tucking around the yard before he even saw her. He must have smelled her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast