SKUNK

Thread: SKUNK

lab13 is offline Senior Member

DefaultSKUNK

My LAB just got sprayed by a SKUNK!!!!!

She smells awful, we now smell awful and she got into the kitchen and family room.!!!!!

We have given her a bath in Tomato juice and rinsed her off. She is now in her kennel in the kitchen.

I guess I have to take her to the vet groomer tomorrow to have her bathed by them???

Will the smell go away - on her, on us, out of the kitchen and out of the family room carpet;

We have sprayed the carpet with freebreeze.

What a night. This dog and I didn't need this. She is the one with all the MCTs!

Any help with this would be wonderful, super and great all around.

A big thank you in advance.

: )

I guess we have to smile as there is nothing else we can do.

Good night

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: SKUNK

Hydrogen Peroxide (1 bottle) , dish soap(a couple tablespoons) and baking soda (?1/2 cup?) works well to eliminate the odor. be careful around the eyes. Mix together and apply to the coat.

darkchocngold is offline Member

I am sooooo sorry you are dealing with this - yuck.
    Several summers ago Shelby got nailed three times in one week.* I became quite familiar with the treatment.
    You will need hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and Dawn Dishwashing detergent.* I used about half a bottle of peroxide, half box baking soda and 1/2 cup Dawn, mixed up in a big bowl.* Makes a pasty mess.* Blob this all over the dog, lather well which is not hard with Dawn - then rinse for a really long time. Honestly this does work well.*
    The smell in the house I got rid of also with something you spray and it encapsulates odor - got that at a Pet Supply place that carries dog, cat, bird but also horse stuff.* Hopefully someone else can help you out with that since I can't seem to remember what it was called.
    Good luck! And be careful. Skunks seem to follow the same path each day and your dog will be looking for this weird creature for another round.
    <br />Shelby and Maddie<br />Springfield, MO

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It sounds weird but Masingill (sp??) Douche diluted in water gets rid of the smell right away! Our neighbour just did theis with her dog ;D

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

The hydrogen peroxide blend that's been posted works...the tomato juice things is an old wives tale. BTW, get the tomato juice and some vodka and tabsco.....................
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labs4life
    The hydrogen peroxide blend that's been posted works...the tomato juice things is an old wives tale. BTW, get the tomato juice and some vodka and tabsco.....................
    I'll second this. Kody was sprayed 3 times last year. Luckily only one was a direct hit. Using the vinegar douche worked well, but for the next 3 months anytime he got wet the smell would be there. It got to the point that when I was out somewhere and smelled a skunk, I would think of Kody. ;D

kym

I've heard good things about Listerine, my coworker used it on her dog when he got sprayed and it worked pretty well.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Please see the thread below for some tested antedotes, it's

"Fabulous Easy Fix for Skunks" in Lab Health & Nutrition

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,14430.0.html
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

patm is offline Senior Member

It has been a bad skunk year for the PioneerTrail dogs. Skip and Emilu have been hit 3 times also. The first time I used the H202,BS and Dawn treatment. Then I found a large bottle of "skunk-off" that a friend had given to me. Works great! You use it pretty much like shampoo, let it set a while on the dog, rinse off well, then bathe the dog with regular shampoo. I had Skunk Off in a spray bottle that didn't work as well, but the liquid kind works great. They do tend to smell and little "skunky" for a long while afterwards when they get damp - but it isn't too bad. As far as your house goes - don't have any suggestions - mine stay OUTSIDE in the kennel till they have been bathed