field lab vs bench lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: field lab vs bench lab

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultfield lab vs bench lab

What is the difference between a field lab and a bench lab? I think I have field labs. Are they more active or hyper??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: field lab vs bench lab

That is a stereotype about the 2 categories.

Here is a good link
    http://www.cmlrn.com/categories.htm

I wouldn't say it's a stereotype, exactly.

Field lines, in general, are taller, leaner, and more active.

Show lines, in general, are shorter, blockier, more laid-back.

I said in general.

Tucker's a bench type, and very laid-back and calm. (His lines on the sire's side go back 5 generations, with Poolsteads, some Sandylands, Jayncourts, Ballyduffs...English labs).

We had a field type years ago, leaner; he could go and go all day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

That is a stereotype for sure. I have field bred labs & both are laid back in the house. Our younger girl is a terror in the field & water, retrieving bumpers & ducks but in the house she is a couch potato.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I suspect there are bigger differences between field and bench Labs in build and conformation than there are in energy level or hyperactivity.

I've had one of each and the bench line was very demanding to get at least an hour of vigorous daily exercise (maybe 40 minutes for non-stop swimming retrieves).* After that, she was mellow for the day.* My field line Lab does get a little more hyperactive when excited even after her 70 minutes of daily exercise,

Labby has an excellent series of pix showing the differences in build and conformation. Hopefully someone will provide the link.

Bench line Labs are shorter coupled, blocky (in head and body); denser double coats, shorter legs;shorter, almost straight "otter-like" tails; not much abdominal tuck.

Field line Labs have builds more in a Weimeraner or Vizsla direction: longer faces and muzzles; leaner, lankier, longer legged;* less dense coats; longer, thinner tails with a sickle shape; they usually have a pronounced abdominal tuck (abdomen slants upward as it goes to the hind legs).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Just to confuse matters more, the look/build of the dog also depends on individual lines. For example, I have English field Labs, and although they are leggier and leaner, they also have more of a small, compact figure with nice heads. The field/show split it more extreme in the USA.

I think I have field labs. Are they more active or hyper??
    You only have field Labs if they come from a working field line. If your dogs have 'FT.CH' or 'FC' (Field Trial Champion) in their pedigree, they are from field lines. Really, if your dogs are field bred, you should know this from your breeder as the parents would be either working or trial dogs...

Are field Labs more active? generally...yes. They are bred to work so you can expect one to have the energy and drive of a working dog. Are the hyper? only if they are understimulated. Tired dogs = good dogs. Field Labs make excellent pets PROVIDING they are stimulated both physically and mentally.

Hyper does not have the same meaning as active. This is one of my most active Labs outside, in the house. He hunts and has been competed in field trials and hunt tests. He is a true couch potato in the house.

Duke is of the tall lean line. There does seem to be a very wide range of shapes and sizes but bench Labs are bred to meet the confirmation standards for competition. I think I read somewhere that the last Lab that won both confirmation and field trials was back in the 1070's. That said, Duke is about as far from hyper as you can get. Just a big couch potato.

I've learned a great deal from stumbling across this thread. Laura, as always everything I've read on your site is clearly and concisely written for the newbie Lab owner, like me.
    From reading everything here I can now pinpoint Shadow's type. Shadow is almost exactly like the first field type you show on your page Laura. This is interesting to me. I kept noticing he was a lab with the longer and leaner features, etc. His mother is very long legged and tall. I'm assuming he will probably be also.
    With Shadow being BYB I really found this information interesting and now I can place where he "fits" compared to other Labs I've seen. He's just 4 months old so he's a bit hyper now but it will be interesting to see how he ends up when he's an adult and lost his puppy-ness (if he ever does).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast