Horses or Dogs!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horses or Dogs!

hark67 is offline Senior Member

DefaultHorses or Dogs!

Hoss' picture really made my day. It reminded me of my love of carousels. I fell in love with carousel horses many years ago. I've dreamed of being able to own an original Daniel Muller carving. After college I gave purchasing a carousel more serious thought and travelled out to Ohio to see the Muller Carousel at Cedar Point and visit the museum out there. I also made arrangements to stop and speak with a well known carver Joe Leonard (he carved all the horses for Disney in Paris) Of course an original Muller carving cost a fortune...and a new carving is not cheap either. I realized quickly unless I was really weathy it was never going to happen.

Then about 4 years ago I got to thinking..... since I can't afford a huge carousel horse why not get a dog? Looff carved the beautiful greyhounds....why not have someone carve me a labrador? I imagined having Huckle carved....running with his ears blown back....complete with all the carousel trappings. I wanted to have him put on a rocker so that children could ride him. I knew from my original interest I could have anything carved onto his saddle and trappings. I imagined carrots hanging from the saddle horn, some beautiful birds hitching rides. I searched all over and finally found someone that actually carves just dogs his work is just amazing! His name is Tim Racer. Some of you may remember the story they ran on him in Bark magazine a year or so ago.

Unfortunely, it is a very expensive venture and at this point in my life I still can't afford it. If I win the lottery this is indeed the one thing I would splurge on.

Check out his work. It is really amazing.

www.timracer.com

Missing you, my friend.
    Huckle 1/9/1992 - 4/25/2006

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Horses or Dogs!

Megan, those carvings are awesome!
    My mom is a HUGE carousel fan! She is obsessed!but she only likes carousels with the original "music"..I don't know the term..my brother and his family took her on a carousel ride over the 4th of July weekend before her knee replacement surgery in Greenport, LI and she was thrilled.
    I bet you and my mom could have quite a conversation...I am not as big a fan but those dog sculptures! Unbelieveable!

Those are great, wouldn't that be fun to have a rocker of the dog for little kids?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Wow, he does AWESOME work.

Beautiful work of a master craftsman

We have a big amusement park in Pgh; Kennywood Park. We go every year, usually Father's Day. The carousel is a Dentzel from 1926, 4 rows, with a 1916 Wurlitzer organ. We always make sure to ride the carousel

OMGosh Megan... those carvings are absolutely stunning!!

Wow.

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

Very unique idea, and his work is gorgeous!

Yeah Racer was featured in Bark magazine a couple of years ago. The carosel pittbull is a portrait of his dog, the area under the saddle is hollow and when she dies it will become an urn for her ashes. He hasn't updated his website in awhile, I wonder if he has done anything new lately.
    Olie

hark67 is offline Senior Member

My mom is a HUGE carousel fan! She is obsessed!but she only likes carousels with the original "music"..I don't know the term..my brother and his family took her on a carousel ride over the 4th of July weekend before her knee replacement surgery in Greenport, LI and she was thrilled.
    I bet you and my mom could have quite a conversation...
    Molly, how great!* I checked out the Greenport Carousel on the internet.* It looks absolutely magical!* I am glad she got to ride!* Now I want to go!* Tell her to hurry up with her rehab so I can make the trip up!

The carousel is a Dentzel from 1926, 4 rows, with a 1916 Wurlitzer organ.
    Donna, Stop!* I am having a carousel attack.* That one sounds amazing!

Yeah Racer was featured in Bark magazine a couple of years ago.* The carosel pittbull is a portrait of his dog, the area under the saddle is hollow and when she dies it will become an urn for her ashes.* He hasn't updated his website in awhile, I wonder if he has done anything new lately.
    Olie...I had forgotten the bit about the urn.* Too cool.* As for the updating, I guess I haven't been to his site in a while.* The last time I visited he only had his pit and the border collie.* I absolutely love the new Chow Retriever mix running.* Make sure you scroll to the bottom so you can see all the different views.

Missing you, my friend.
    Huckle 1/9/1992 - 4/25/2006

There's a tiger on the Dentzel (he was known for putting a tiger on his carousels).

That picture of the dog...look at the color and shading...just beautiful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast