spaying questions

Thread: spaying questions

M1Tommy is offline Junior Member

Defaultspaying questions

We're considering a 2 year old female lab., who is still intact (right term?).* I read all over about spaying before first heat, and how it seems to decrease the likelyhood of some cancers.

Now, my mind is likely making a mountain out of a molehill..... but will having her spayed *increase* likelihood of cancer?*

How long is recovery for this?* Are dogs usually boarded at a vets? or kept at home?* Are they immobile for a while(days)?* If so, how to feed and clean them?*

As (I figure) whe has had heat cycles by now (but never bred), will she continue any sort of cycle after spaying?

I'm so clueless about this...........* *???

Tommy

P.S. Moderators, if this is in the wrong forum, please move as needed.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: spaying questions

I'm not aware of any cancer where the chance is increased if the dog is spayed. Sometimes there is a chance of incontinence if spayed to early, but this girl would be beyond that.

Recovery is about a week to ten days of leash walking only (no running, jumping, ideally no stairs). You feed the same except for the first night, where she may still be groggy and not too hungry. Whether she spends the night or not is dependent on your vet...some keep them, some don't.

Once she's spayed, she won't come into heat any longer.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    I'm not aware ......... Recovery is about a week to ten days of leash walking only (no running, jumping, ideally no stairs). You feed the same except for the first night, where she may still be groggy and not too hungry. Whether she spends the night or not is dependent on your vet...some keep them, some don't.

Once she's spayed, she won't come into heat any longer.

Good luck
    I think we could handle that. I reckon it'd be best if we had her a few days (or weeks?) so she could settle down first, right?
    Thanks for the reply. I've lots to learn!
    Tommy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Depending on when her last season was, I'd give her a few weeks to settle in before you spay her.

Laura

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with labby about giving her a little time to settle in. When Brigetta was spayed the vet said 10 days of rest. I brought her home that evening and she slept that night and most of the next day. Then she was pretty much back to herself, but I had to restrict her activities until her sutures were removed. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Depending on when her last season was, I'd give her a few weeks to settle in before you spay her.
    Yes, That's something I will definately ask about.* I reckon a good breeder should know that.
    Thank you.
    Tommy