Cross Post: Corn on the cob
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Post: Corn on the cob

DefaultCross Post: Corn on the cob

Hi All!

I looked at the unsafe food list @ http://www.lacetoleather.com/fataltodogs.html and I can't find anything about corn on the cob. I'm going to make some tonight with dinner and Lexie is teething, I thought she might enjoy a gnawing on a piece. I just don't want to give it to her if it would hurt her.

Thanks!

Robin

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Cross Post: Corn on the cob

I'm no expert, so don't take my word as complete truth, but I don't think that'd be a good idea.* She could possibly chew off some pieces of the cob, causing an obstruction.* Just my thoughts, but I would definitely find out from someone else before you give her any.

Edited for clarity* -- by all means, kernels of corn won't hurt her.

Corn is fine, it's almost all roughage and won't be digested. My first lab used to eat the kernels off the cob and leave the cob.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

OH Be careful!!!!! Corn on the cobs are not digestable. Trooper's friend Copa swallowed one and had to have all these X-rays done. It was a nightmare for them. I never knew that until it happened to him. They were worried he would have to have surgery. I am not sure how it ended up coming out.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Only under EXTREME supervision!! I have seen cases where the cob was ingested in large pieces which resulted in surgery for blockages.

It wasn't a lab, it was our daughter's white boxer....a few summers ago, we gave her a taste of corn on the cob; she loved it. We gave her the whole cob to eat. She didn't eat the cob, but ate the corn off ot it. She held it in her hands almost like a human, it was so cute.

In the middle of the night, Molly became seriously ill. She vomited everywhere, numerous times, as well as having diarrhea. She was taken to the vet as soon as the office opened. It didn't obstruct, it just made her so sick.

The vet said everyone knows dog's shouldn't have corn! (We didn't know)

That was our experience

patm is offline Senior Member

My labs have all loved corn - sweet corn AND field corn. When I feed the squirrels, they both have to get an ear of corn too. They never eat the cobs though. It has never caused any problems with any of my dogs (again - they didn't eat the cobs). But then, they have survived many foods that I didn't used to know were bad for them - think - grapes, onions, tomatoes (they still eat those) - I never feed them chocolate though!

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Too great a chance for an obstruction for me. I just wouldn't take a chance.

We had a dachshund beagle mix when I was growing up that LOVED corn on the cob. We would hold the cob for her though and she would strip it. I wouldn't give the cob to your dog. If she's anything like my lab it will be gone before you blink and a worrisome trip to the vet will follow.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I think I wouldn't do it either. Corn is one of the most difficult things to digest. I had some tummy problems a while back, and I still have not been brave enough to add corn back to my diet. Those hulls are what do it, I guess.

The cob would scare me too. Of course, everything scares me.

Hey, would Lexie try to eat cloth? I have heard of a lot of people using frozen washcloths for teething. I never did with Angus, because he had a little trouble distinguishing food items from non-food items. : But if she could be trusted, or if you could watch her closely, might be worth a shot?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast