FREAKING OUT AT OTHER DOGS ON WALK

Thread: FREAKING OUT AT OTHER DOGS ON WALK

DefaultFREAKING OUT AT OTHER DOGS ON WALK

hey! my choc. male (a year and a half old) goes INSANE on a walk when we see other dogs. At the park, or daycare, when he's off leash, he is the most friendly loving animal towards all other dogs. but on the walk - he seems like KUJO! i've never actually seen what would happen if i let him go, if he'd just run up to the other dog and bark? i'm sure he wouldn't be agressive...

is this just "come play with me"? how do i control the barking and pulling that happens?

it's INSANITY...

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: FREAKING OUT AT OTHER DOGS ON WALK

There's no way we can tell what's going on without knowing a lot more about body language--both his and yours. What training have you done with him? Has he been to obedience classes? If not, the fastest and best feedback you can get is from a trainer in a class setting. The trainer can watch his behavior with other dogs in class, and you can explain what happens in detail and get immediate feedback.

If it's leash aggression the way to deal with it is very different than if it's merely too much exuberance and too little training. In either case, though, the foundation is good communication between the two of you--and that means training "watch me," "sit," "heel," and "leave it."

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Lovemylabs:

I recall seeing a similar subject discussed on this MB before. I don't know that I will get the answer totally right, but for some dogs it has to do with being on a leash. I think it was the feel trapped & could not run when on a leash.

I am sure someone else will be able to fill in more specifics.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

it's definitely a case of "merely too much exuberance and too little training"

any other thoughts? actual things i can do on the walk to help him behave?

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am trying to take Ernie on different walks each day and have just realised around my area the dogs taken for regular walks are much better behaved than ones that are taken once or twice a week.
    Until now I have taken him on the same walk thinking if he runs away he will go where he knows. Not sure this reasoning works, but felt right.
    On our regular walk he is fine. On a new one I am pulled into bushes, driveways, he barks and goes nuts at other dogs. Ernie wears a halti on these walks. I also have treats. When I see another dog I try to make him sit and wait until the other dog passes.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

daisyandwikismom is offline Senior Member

Hey luvmylabs I feel your pain!
    This describes my Wiki boy to a "T". He will walk like a very well trained dog until he sees another dog or a cat. Then all hell breaks loose. He has a very ferocious bark and sounds like a killer dog. His trainer suggested that I make him do something he knows, something he is good at. So I make him sit. We have only been working on it for a short time but it seems like it is working. Luckily he doesn't suffer from leash aggression so I'm not sure what you would do for that if that's his problem. Good luck.

thanks - having him "sit" something he definitely does know well is a good idea. i'm not sure what leash agression is...?