holistic food

Thread: holistic food

labradork mom is offline Member

Defaultholistic food

My lab Gracie was just diagnosed with Diabetes, Hypothyroid and bacterial infection. I have started her on insulin shots twice per day and medication for the thyroid and antibiotic for infection. In addition the vet switched her to science diet w/d. I stopped in a holistic pet place today and they told me that the science diet w/d was the worse possible food for her and that the insulin amount I am giving her is too much and that I need to put her on a probiotic once she is done with the antibiotic. I am upset enough about all the things wrong with Gracie. Now I am totally confused. Does anyone feed and treat their dog holisticly?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: holistic food

I wouldn't take the advice of someone running a "health food store" for dogs; if you want holistic advice; I'd see a vet who deals with holistic medicine. Also, probiotics can be given while on the antibiotic; just not at the same time; most advise spacing 4 hours apart (same for humans).
    Science Diet prescrip foods are not the best in the world, but sometimes we have to resort to them for what is best for our dogs. Again, if you want a good 2nd opinion, I'd see an holistic vet.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labradork mom
    I stopped in a holistic pet place today and they told me that the science diet w/d was the worse possible food for her and that the insulin amount I am giving her is too much and that I need to put her on a probiotic once she is done with the antibiotic.
    I'd ask them where they got their veterinary degree. :

I would definitely be getting a second opinion on all this. From a vet.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I actually just took one of my girls to a holistic vet recently. She had chiropractic treatment, accupuncture, and she was put on a different food and various supplements. I'm thrilled with the results so far.

Your dog seems to have a lot of problems that could possibly be addressed by a holistic vet. However, some fool at the feed store is not the same thing as a holistic vet, and he/she certainly has no business telling you that your vet has given you the wrong amount of insulin for your dog. If you want a holistic opinion then go see a holistic vet, otherwise, I would suggest following your vet's advice. I wouldn't let someone at a dog food store have ANY say in the health care of my dogs.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I personally don't take advice from the health food shop, unless they are experienced with what your dog has.

I found the Hills Science diet specially for dogs with sensitivity or allergies made Ernie worse. Erns also has a thyroid problem. I don't feed any dry food. In the health section there are lots of posts on different types of food.

Hope Gracie feels better soon.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Definately go to a holistic vet. I'm sorry, but my experience with 'regular' vets is that they don't know much about nutrition and my vet is the first one to admit it. I have fed holistic and/or organic food to my dogs for all or most of their lives and am thrilled with the results. My breeder/friend is very much into holistic food/medicine for herself and her dogs and sure knows far more about nutrition and alternative medicine than her vet.