Alpha challenge?

Thread: Alpha challenge?

DefaultAlpha challenge?

At what age should I expect Rocky to try to take over role as alpha? He has been challenging me a bit more lately with a little bit of disobedience and I was wondering if I should be concerned or stay consistant and let it take its course? :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Alpha challenge?

Maybe never. Just be consistent and let things take their course. Theo disobeyes me because (1) he doesn't understand what I'm asking (my fault) or (2) he has something else on his mind that is more rewarding (both our fault). But he has never, ever challenged me. My advice: Don't worry about "alpha" or "challenging" or any of that confrontational language--personally I think it frequently creates more problems than it solves, especially with typically nondominant dogs like Labs. Instead work on building a good relationship with your dog in which you control his access to resources.

Most of the time, I really don't believe that dogs disobey because they are trying to get over on you or because they don't respect your authoritah. They just think that what they want to do is more rewarding than what you're offering. Pretty simple. When that happens, tighten up on the obedience, back up a step and work on fundamentals, and make sure all rewards (including life rewards) come though you.

Seems like some of them start "acting up" around 9 months. I agree with Nathan I wouldn't worry about the alpha stuff, be consistent with him. He's too darn cute for sure.

Is he neutered?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by deneen
    Is he neutered?
    No. He will be after 12 months as per our breeders contract.

Probably help some. Gunny was getting to be a little bossy with Autumn, since he's been neutered it seems like he's back to his old self. I didn't neuter him until 12 months also.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have an intact male, a spayed female and an intact female, ranging from 5 y/o to 15 months, and I don't think me or my husband have ever been challenged. We have been consistent in our training and corrections and the dogs know their place. Sure, they can be butts and ignore us from time to time, but we've never had any "alpha" issues in our house.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Quote Originally Posted by luke from georgia
    Thanks, that helped me to understand how to proceed with Rocky's training.

Good article LukefromGeorgia. I enjoyed that.