help my dog wants to roam
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help my dog wants to roam

Defaulthelp my dog wants to roam

Hi everyone,
    I have a black lab and for the last month he is wanting to roam. I have tried everything to teach him to stay in his boundries. I've tried praise, walking him and showing him his boundries, scoulding, treats. He knows he is doing wrong but i am terified that i could loose him. He is doctored so he isn't looking for a girlfriend. We walk everyday, he swims everyday, so he is getting enough exercise. I have to start back to work at the end of August and i would like to be able to trust him again so that his babysitter won't have to hard of a time. Any suggestions? Please Help!!!

Harley-tam

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: help my dog wants to roam

Hi,

you posted in the wrong forum... try reposting this in lab chat.

I'm not gonna advise because I don't have this problem and I'm not an expert but in your post you might want to include whether you have a fence or not and when exactly he is roaming... i.e. when he's under your supervision or when he's not?
    ~Lindsay

risingphoenix is offline Member

hi harley- I've been hesitating replying to your post- I know EXACTLY what you are going through with your lab- we had one years ago- same deal- we called them "runners." Any open door is an invitation to bolt- and come back when they feel like it- usually a couple hours later- I wish I could help you, but this is a tough one. We had a private obedience instructor come to the house- we tried everything- nothing ever worked- the only advice I can give you is get a BIG fence around your yard. Good luck- i hope you find a solution

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

One thing we always do with our dogs is teach them that they are not allowed to leave the house without a release word from us.

Have your private instructor help you with it. It's invaluable, particularly with delivery people.

Work on sit-stays....no one gets out the door until you release them.

Do you have a fence? If not, I would fence in as much of the area as I could afford.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I am guessing your back yard is unfenced.

There are a couple of solutions here. Your first is to install a fence. A wooden fence being the best option but there are also electric fences.

Your second option would be to train him although it will always be risky regardless of how well you think he is trained. To trust him loose in an open space he should have an excellent recall and ideally an instant sit or drop at any distance on command.

Paula is offline Senior Member

Is this for real? You really think if you show him his boundaries he is going to say, Ok I can only go this far. If he is in an unfenced yard he needs to be leashed when you take him outside for potty breaks.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

He needs to be kennelled when you are at work. I'd not feel safe even leaving mine in a fenced (4-5') yard. A kennel w/ concrete flooring, bottom rails and padlocked for his safety (so no one can steal) is my recommendation.

All other times he's out he needs to be supervised if you are not fenced. He's likely bored, looking for a buddy or birds, or whatever. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

jlab Guest

Surprised nobody has mentioned that a good solution to your problem is an invisible fence. It's much less expensive than a regular fence and covers any amount of area that you desire to keep your dog contained.

I had the same problem years ago with my labs and tried training, chain link and wooden fences. The training did not work most of the time and was expensive and time consuming. For the physical fences, they either climbed over them or dug under them.

The invisible fence worked as advertised and has been working great for over 20 years. Very dependable and easy to train your dogs to recognize the boundaries. I have it placed on the property line of my wooded lot and halfway into the lake that borders my back yard. Even when the power goes off or the collar batteries drain down, my dogs still refuse to cross the boundary (no matter how enticing the attraction on the other side).

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I agree -- the answer here is hardware: A leash and/or a fence, invisible or otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast