ethics question...rescue

Thread: ethics question...rescue

Defaultethics question...rescue

Good morning,

Here is the point to ponder.

My almost perfect dog Lya was a rescue. Her one problem is that she has horrible horrible allergies. Her treatment since we got her has been no less than 6 thousand dollars in less than two years. Many people believe that the foster group who had her last knew or at least suspected that she had allergies.

My husband asked point blank if she had any difficulties stating that we would take her no matter he would just like to know ahead of time. They said she stole socks but that was all.

If they did know about the allergies (her last foster mommy had only labs) do you think it was OK for them not to tell us?

In my heart and mind I could understand the temptation to withold such information, but then what if a family could not afford the vet bills? Then, it does not give rescues such good reputations.

Thanks,

Morgan with Lya the Itchy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: ethics question...rescue

In the two yrs that you'd had her, have you point blankly asked the rescue if they knew? Or asked the foster themselves?

And to answer your question...no..I don't think it's right for them to keep that information from you if they knew.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

It is possible that the allergies had not manifested before you got her, or they simply hadn't had her long enough to know that she had them - or what she was allergic to.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think you should have absolutely been informed if they knew.

I adopted a dog to another forum member.* We informed the adopter but we thought we had at least part of it solved/cleared up....turns out once he was off the meds for awhile everything came back..ear infections, itchy paws..etc.* His owner is spending a ton and still dealing with it a year later.* *Is it possible her allerigies didn't start until you adopted her?* Has her food changed etc?

Katy Guest

If they are environmental allergies, its very possible she wasn't exposed to the "source" until she got to your house. It could be anything- an allergen producing plant a couple blocks from you could be effecting the lab.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If they knew they should have told you, but honestly, unless you spend half your life with your head stuck in a Lab Chat Board, chances are they didn't know that the dog even had allergies.

I had no clue dogs even had allergies until I started reading the boards. And unless someone had your dog for a considerable amount, they might have attributed itching or whatever to fleas, anything...

I guess I am thinking what's the point in getting upset over it? Whether they knew or not, you would have taken the dog. Possibly you might not choose to go through them again to adopt another dog, but whether you ask them or not...I guess I don't see what it would accomplish. It's definately a bummer and hopefully they didn't hide it from you, but what's done is done.

I agree with the others; especially the above poster who said they prolly did not even recognize anything as being allergies. I've seen foster dogs come to adoption full of dandruff and hear the foster parents talk about adding canola oil to their food I hesitate to ask what they are feeding them. Most people who love helping rescues are not all that acknowledgeable about dogs. Some are; most are not. If it's a reputable rescue, and the foster parent knew, I'm sure they would have told you ... I was very picky about who my foster kids went to and sent lengthy emails with ALL the details to anyone who inquired about them. I always stressed the bad stuff first!!
    (Shut up Deneen, I did too get some adopted out)!! LOL

Dani is offline Senior Member

I don't think that any reputable rescue would withhold any information from an adoptor. Why would they want to home a dog and increase the chances of it coming back to them? The point is to rehome the dog forever...not for a little bit.

Our GSP lab mix dog was a terrible Pain in the arse. I was upfront and honest about everyone of his issues with his new owner. He wasn't phased a bit. He's called and talked about those issues...but he was well aware of them before he took Fred home.

We had another dog that has mild HD. The owners knew that too.

I guess the point is...the reputable folks will be up front no matter what. I can't tell you for sure what the organization that you went through knew or didn't. Some allergies don't rear their ugly heads until in certain situations....I personally am finding that out this summer....as I am in the process of being diagnosed too...never had a problem for all 32 years of my life.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    ...unless you spend half your life with your head stuck in a Lab Chat Board, chances are they didn't know that the dog even had allergies.
    It never occurred to me until I started reading the health & nurtrition threads on this forum that my previous dog might have had allergies. She was healthy and had a beautiful coat, but was always itchy, and loved it when we'd vigorously rub her (all over!)

Thanks everyone for your input. I had no notion of asking them if they knew as it would be pointless. The big issue in situations like this is how it impacts folk's willingness to adopt a rescue in the future or for some people even the first time. I say this as Lya is the second time around.

Rocco our Rhodesian was taken in by a rescue as he was hit by a car. My husband adopted him about a month after the hit. The rescue group said he had been treated and that his hip should be as good as new once it was fully healed. Well, my husband had to go back to the same vet the rescue used for Rocco's follow up treatment. No, the vet said that he had only handled Rocco's pain as the rescue group was not sure how much they wanted to do. Then he said Rocco's leg might have to be amputated...yadda yadda yaddy

Long story short, my husband almost fainted, Rocco saw a neurologist and a physical therapist was consulted. He does very very well, has four legs he uses with a bit of a limp with us only watching how much he plays and keeping him extra warm in the winter.

Mind you I go deep into low income Detroit metro and rescue dogs and I can imagine the deep desire to place animals in good homes, but if folks are not completely up front about a animal, the dog could end up in a bad place. Then some folks might not want to risk a rescue dog as a result.

Folks, soon very soon America is going to need a better system to help folks pay for animal medical bills. A hard thing to say when we also need to be able to cover all of the people as well.

Thanks again for your impute,

Morgan