Thinking Axl is one upping me!

Thread: Thinking Axl is one upping me!

DefaultThinking Axl is one upping me!

Axl loves to grab things and run out and the backyard and chew them up, so I read on here to teach a dog to "leave it" if you have something he likes better he will drop it, take the treat, etc. Welllllllllllllll, I started that with him about a half hour ago and so far I have a collection of 5 shoes, soccer pads, sons toys and a sock all on the island because now he goes and grabs something, waits for me to get up and go to fridge for a snack and say leave it, which he does immediately but now I think he's just grabbing random stuff for the treat! I am running out of room on the island lol :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Thinking Axl is one upping me!

Am I doing the "leave it" right or should I be doing something else?

Try instead of giving him a treat every time start giving him an apporpriate toy to play with occasionally and phasing out the treats.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I found that leave-it started to click with Lexie when we were out on walks; she would want to grab an object on the ground, I would say "leave-it" and continue walking.

When you have a treat in your hand does Axl go for it immediately or does he wait for you to tell him to "take-it". That's another way to work on "leave-it"; treat in hand, when he mouths the treat tell him to "leave-it" don't release the treat until you tell him to "take-it". Increase time as you work on the exercise.

Also, don't give a treat every time that he does it correctly; that way he won't know when he's going to get a treat and won't be as encouraged to grab stuff to get a treat.

Plastic tubs are really good with puppies. I have some out in the backyard for her toys and objects she shouldn't have and one in the house for those objects that don't always get put away properly. We also leave our shoes on the front porch when we come in (this was more for the carpet) in a plastic bin.

What is the thing with socks and dogs? Lexie just loves socks.

What a smartie pants!
    He is probably saying "gosh, it is about time for her to catch on"