lack of barking

Thread: lack of barking

Defaultlack of barking

Hi All,

I have a small concern with my lovely black boy. He is 11 months old and hasn't shown any signs of barking either to alert us, or in protective way. Some may say I am lucky that he doesn't bark, and I am fortunate that he doesn't over-use his voicebox, but the only time we hear it is occasionally in playtime. I would like to think he might stamp his authority with a bark just to let people know he is there, and for me to feel a little more secure.

What are people's thoughts on this? And is there anybody in a similar situation?

Cheers,

Jettsmum Michelle

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: lack of barking

Well, Labs are not guard dogs, nor are they known to be particularly vocal, so don't expect him to be. Some dogs alert bark, some don't. He is only young so you may find he starts alert barking in the next 6-12 months but that is no guarantee.

My thoughts; give him time. If he is going to start alert barking, as I said it will probably be in the next year or so. If he doesn't, you can always teach him to bark, or 'speak', on command.

Lizzie didn't bark for a long time, I was a little worried that she didn't know how too At around 7 months she found she could bark and hasn't stopped since... every little noise she barks her head off, it has become quite annoying... she does now stop when told too though..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My new rescue lab who is just over a year old is kinda similiar. He is so quiet but sometimes when playing he will make a grunt or graon. When I first brought him home he would try to bark when inside the fence and me outside. His bark sounded like his vocals were strained as if he had larengitis. I figured it was from too much barking at the pound and the vets stay.

On his one month check up I am going to have them look down his troat if they can but now that he is settling in does not bark either.

Dawn is offline Senior Member

Mocha never barked at all until she was almost two. And then, she started off making kind of a tentative, croaky attempt at barking, the first few times she tried it, until she got the hang of it. It was very weird, but very funny at the time. Over her 16 years, she's never been a barker, though. If she ever heard a strange noise, she was more likely to run toward it wagging her tail.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???
    Now wait a min here????
    I think you need doggie friend. Maybe a terrier type to teach you to bark.
    Yes, that will do it! We are trying to teach "quiet".
    Maybe we have too many darn squirrels in our yard? : :

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Like Trickster said...labbies aren't guarddogs and neither are they very vocal.

Buck is 8 months old and not much of a barker either. I love this about him!

I think if Jett feels that he needs to warn you he will. Just the other night Buck and I were home alone. He must have heard something at the front door because I sure didn't. But he got right up and let out 3 loud woofs! and went straight up to the door. Well it freaked me out because he never does that. I didn't dare open the door lol. I peeked out a window and saw someone using our driveway to turn around. Buck went back to chewing his toy after he walked around the house and checked everything out.

He did a similar thing when we went camping. A lot of people walk by our camp site but he never cared. Except the one time when I was alone with him and dozing off near the fire. Someone walked by and he let out three deep woofs *WOOF** **WOOF** **WOOF* hehe* and sat down next to me and waited for the person to go by.

Other than those two instances he usually does what Mocha does Runs over to check things out as he wags his tail

He must have sensed something about both those situation that he used his voice. I rather have him be like that than bark incessantly EVERY SINGLE time someone walks by or rings our door bell. Our neighbor's labs are like that and it's really annoying.

He is still young so I am hoping he doesn't grow up to be like the neighbor's labs.

Be patient he will warn you when you really need it
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta didn't bark at first either. She actually learned to bark from my older dog...now she barks at every little sound!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I think you need doggie friend. Maybe a terrier type to teach you to bark.
    Yes, that will do it! We are trying to teach "quiet".

Yeah or a beagle big sister...he'll start barking. LOL

I do not believe Gunny would bark if Autumn didn't "teach" him..when she is occupied or out of a walk and he is home with me alone he doesn't bark nearly as much.

Katy Guest

When we adopted our previous lab, Keesha (1987-2001) she didn't bark at all for a full year. Then when she did the barks were quiet and not very frequent. She just wasn't a barker but very happy and well-adjusted.