New addition...helpful advice

Thread: New addition...helpful advice

Sedonarona is offline Member

DefaultNew addition...helpful advice

Well, this is a somewhat sad story that will hopefully have a happy ending. This past summer, I lost a good friend and colleauge. He and I were dog owners and, although he chose a different breed than myself, we were both excited about our dogs. My friend was diagnosed with colon cancer in May of this year and two months later, he passed away at the age of 28. Unfortunately, lost amidst all the chaos and grief, was Sport, his 1 and a half year old German short-haired pointer. She lost her Master and was relegated, as it turns out, to the back yard of the house with a daily visit from another colleague for feeding. I had thought the dog was taken back to my buddy's hometown, but it seems there was a problem with who was going to take her. When my wife found out that she had been in the back yard for the past few weeks without anyone around and her Master gone, she said go and get her.

She is quite skittish right now, jumpy at every little sound, but full of all kinds of energy and completely lovable. Our Lab has taken in her new friend without any problem at all...no jealousy or anything...yet. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help ease the transition and make her feel at home. We are currently debating whether or not to keep her as we have a 100 lb lab, two cats and there is the near future plan of starting a family...but of course, I may not even have a say as I believe my wife is already smitten. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New addition...helpful advice

Your friend who passed would be so grateful to you for taking and loving his Sport. I sometimes worry that if I pass before my dogs, what kind of life would they have.
    In behalf of your departed friend, "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you."

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I don't really have much advice except one thing I've learned in preparation for bringing my new furbaby home is that it is imperative that both your dogs know you and your wife are the pack leaders. Since they got off to a good start sounds like you are ahead of the game but if you notice any movement of one or the other trying to be in front, nip it in the bud!

There are alot more experienced folks on here who can better address this, but this would be the approach I would take.

Most importantly, bless you two for taking her in. Your friend rests easier knowing this and your new dog will be a loyal companion with your lab for a lifetime. What a joy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

Love them, love them and love them!

And Thank you for being a good friend!

Katy Guest

God bless you for caring for the dog!

Maybe it would be comforting for the dog if you brought his old bedding to your house. He would have something familiar to sleep on. Make sure you are feeding the same food for a while. Make sure you get collar tags with your address too, even if the dogs living arrangements aren't set in stone.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Oh I bet that dog is so happy to be included in a family after being alone for two weeks.
    Thanks for caring.

It is really good of you to take Sport home with you. That is a sad story but because of you it has a good ending. Looks like the dog is pretty much yours (if your wife is anything like me). Just show it alot of attention for a little while till she feels totally comfortable. She is still pretty young so she should adjust fine. Good luck and enjoy your new addition.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry about your friend. What you and your wife have done for Sport is amazing. It's wonderful that your lab is being so welcoming...she may have found a friend for life! My taking Brigetta was very unexpected. I already had an older dog with health issues and Brigetta was VERY skittish and still has issues that we are working through. I just made sure to love her as much as she would let me, I tried to treat her the same as I did Prudence, I fed them together, I would play with them together and I also spend time with each of them alone. They do get jealous of each other and sometimes I have to separate them...but by the end of every day they are sleeping on the bed together. It didn't take long for Brigetta to fall into a routine with us and become a permanant part of our family.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence