Shih Tzu's and Labs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shih Tzu's and Labs

DefaultShih Tzu's and Labs

I know a hairy combo... but do you think they would work well together? I love their spunky personalities and since my hubby and I seperated Lucy is lonley, but I can't handle another big dog in the apartment ( although it is 1200sq/ft) My neighbor has one and it is soooo cute and Lucy adores her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Shih Tzu's and Labs

My bro and SIL are "babysitting" their son's 6YO ShihTzu while the family is away. They also have a large German Shepherd mix and a yellow lab mix in the house. They all get along well. The Shih Tzu rules.

A good thing about the Shih Tzu is that they are a low shed dog. Very cute.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My inlaws have 2 shih Tzus they don't care for Mocha much but they are a little older and not used to large dogs. If you got a younger one I would say they will be fine. Their's are pretty bossy too maybe it's a trait.

It really depends on the dogs. I had my friend's Shih tzu stay with me when I had my Pitbull. Those two had a blast playing together.

Proud momma to a 5 yo Shi Tzu (Max) and a 6 mo old Lab (Lucy). They get along great. Max rules the roost, but it should be that way. He has been here longer than Lucy. I should say that Lucy is the most easy going lab even as a puppy and Max is VERY tolerant. Hair won't be an issue because Shi Tzu's don't shed. I do take him to the groomer every 6 weeks, but no problem with shedding.

I say go for it and post pictures when and if you do!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think if both dogs are properly socialized, it shouldn't matter what breeds you put together.

My Darla, 2yo 68#female just loves to play with my dads 7 mo shih tzu, Toby. When Darla goes to the lake she beelines it to the water and the Shi Tzu is right behind. While Darla is swimming and retrieving toby will be running up and down the beach waiting for her. Once she makes the shore he will run right beside her and you would never know there is a 60# difference. Darla respects his size and won't stomp or play bitey face.

However, his last shiz tzu from a puppy mill that they got at 6 weeks was a different story. He was totally agressive and if I didn't keep Darla away would of ate him for lunch. Just make sure the Shih Tzu is socialized.

I have one; well, he's a Shih Tzu/Cocker mix. Everyone is correct when they say they are bossy. No doubt about it; I've always said my little guy has Napoleon's syndrome. I'll be honest, he's a cutie but has never been a "favorite" ... not when you put their personality up against a lab. Szu's are more demanding and bossy; more of a take kind of pup rather than a giver (if that makes sense). Zoe can't stand him; in fact I have to keep them separated. He gets along with all the other labs because they just ignore him.
    They have hair rather than fur; so they don't shed but you do have to have them groomed, so be sure to figure that into your second dog budget. Good luck and keep us posted if you get a new addition.

Why not check out your local shelter? There may be a trained buddy just waiting for a new home? I think personality mixes will be most important and shelters usually let you take them home for a test run to see how things work out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast