I need a little advice (long)

Thread: I need a little advice (long)

DefaultI need a little advice (long)

As some of you may remember, Mischa has CNM (www.labradorcnm.com). It is a neuromuscular recessive disease. Both parents have to be carriers for a pup to be affected. She is very skinny (no muscle mass) and cannot tolerate more than a walk around the block without having to stop and lay down for a few minutes. She then gets up and continues on for a short while longer before having to lay down again. She can only tolerate a couple of retrieves in the park before she starts to shake and lays down.

This devastating disease can progress until the pup is about 1 year old. Mischa is now 8 months and really has not gotten much worse in the last month.
    She is a very happy dog and loves to play fetch the ball in the house. She seems to manage the short chases very well.
    We also have a Spaniel named Copper who is 9 years old, starting to have some arthritis and never really has been a healthy dog.
    We are very used to having dogs with health issues, so this is not the problem.

The breeder who we got Mischa from has offered us another pup. Cleared for CNM of course as there is a genetic test available. The next litter of chocolate pups will be ready to go at the end of September.

Here is my dilemma. We want to replace our flooring on the whole main floor and upstairs over this winter (we are doing the work ourselves). So if we get another dog, I want her trained before this. Better to pee on the old carpets and flooring than on my new carpets and hardwood. Not that it would be the end of the world if this happens. There will still be enough of the summer left to get a good grip on house training as well before the snow flies

I feel guilty as though I am replacing the defective Mischa with a healthy pup. My plans were to run with Mischa and of course that will be impossible now. I also do a lot of walking and no longer have a companion to do so with. Copper limps for days if we go for a long walk with her.
    I am still working with Mischa on training, although this is hard with her intolerance for exercise.
    How hard is it with 2 puppies under a year? Right now Mischa and Copper sleep a lot so would it be that hard? How about 3 dogs in the house. Any advice from those who do have 3??

Don't get me wrong with this issue, I love both my dogs to bits and I am the principle care giver. Hubby works a lot, so can't help with a lot of the training.

I am really very torn in both directions on this issue and was wondering if you could point out issues that I haven't thought of.
    Thanks in advance for your help in this.
    Pat

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: I need a little advice (long)

You would have your hands full with both dog hair and dogs!
    Im not really sure how to answer the training part of it. No matter if you have a tinny puppy or a grown dog its hard because you still have to keep up the training with the other dog. Maggie and Dakota have done great together. Maggie was also a little over 2 when we got Dakota...
    Its a choice only you can make! I have known MANY MANY people to have 2 puppies at the same time and have done well!
    Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

First off I'm so sorry about your pups terrible disease.

First off you will not be able to walk far with a new pup nor run with it for several years. The rule of thumb is 5 minutes of forced (meaning leash walks) exercise per month of age so a young pup will not be able to walk far. As to the running, until your dog is fully mature at about 2 years of age jogging is out of the question since your labs bones and joints can be damaged. Also consider that a young healthy lab is a dynamo needing a lot of exercise. How will that affect your other lab and will it be able to tolerate the constant need to play of the younger one?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

First off let me say Mischa is adorable. What a darling little face. I know it would be challenging to have two pups under a year in the same household especially since you are the primary caregiver and you will be responsible for everything. That is a lot to put on one person but people do it and they survive. You may be fine given that your Mischa sleeps a lot with your older spaniel and would not be as demanding as a typical bouncing off the wall lab puppy but Mischa will still need your time to train and play and of course love and devotion. If you have enough to go around for all three then I say go for it. I know I would if I had the opportunity. Good luck!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaleyJo03
    First off let me say Mischa is adorable. What a darling little face. I know it would be challenging to have two pups under a year in the same household especially since you are the primary caregiver and you will be responsible for everything. That is a lot to put on one person but people do it and they survive. You may be fine given that your Mischa sleeps a lot with your older spaniel and would not be as demanding as a typical bouncing off the wall lab puppy but Mischa will still need your time to train and play and of course love and devotion. If you have enough to go around for all three then I say go for it. I know I would if I had the opportunity. Good luck!
    ...I agree

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Everytime I see your siggy picture of Mischa, I think how adorable and sweet she looks. I wish you the best of luck.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I am sorry to hear of Mischa's health problems.

As for having 3 dogs, it can work. Obviously, to own 3 dogs you have to have the time, space and money. You also have to be prepared for a lot of mess and madness. I have 4 dogs currently and wouldn't have it any other way.

I have thought about your situation in regards to a new puppy and, in my opinion, it doesn't sound like the best idea. What I DO think would be a great idea is an adult rescue. With Mischa's condition and your older arthritic Spaniel, you have to ask yourself what is best for them...a puppy will be bugging them to play 24/7, jumping around, causing mischief, etc. etc., and possibly aggravating their conditions further. I am not saying a pup wouldn't work, but it is the tougher route IMO.

There are big pros for an adult rescue in your case. Once you have conditioned the dog to handle large amounts of exercise, you can begin running almost straight away. If you had a pup, you would have to wait 18-24 months. You also have the option of choosing a dog to suit your needs...for example, a more mellow, easy going dog rather than a high energy one.

Good luck.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I concur with the idea of an older dog rather than a puppy. With the older dog you will have a running companion much sooner than with a pup. Does your breeder have any older dogs she might be willing to give you instead of a pup? If not, look into rescue.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. This is a tough one to make for all of us
    Pat