Teak and I were attacked :-( ....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teak and I were attacked :-( ....

DefaultTeak and I were attacked :-( ....

Ok so its starts with Teak walking on his extendable lead on Monday evening, Teaks always on his long lead over our local fields, they are surrounded by water and we can never stop him from going in, and this waters not particularly clean, as they were walking past the childrens park they walk past a Bull Mastiff and Rottie playing, these dogs come up and sniff Teak, and make themselves stand up straight, you know look more solid, the next thing we know the mastiff has Teak on the floor with its mouth around Teaks neck !! the owner, a big guy comes running over and Daddy pulls the Mastiff off by the scruff of its neck, in the process the Mastiff manages to bite its own tongue and there is a lot of blood, however Teaks fine and the other owner is there and dealing with the Mastiff so Daddy and Teak make their way home, telling me all about it when I get home from work.

Fast forward to Friday night and its mummy and Teak walking, we are saying hello to our friend Dexter the Shapei, when out of no where a Bull Mastiff and Rottie appear I instintively know it’s the same dogs Daddy had been telling me about and while they are sniffing Dexter I have a chance to put Teak between my legs and protect him a little, these dogs are no little dogs, they are hip height on me and I am 5.7, they come over and are both trying to get to Teak, I am ok with this until one of them did a very low growl at us, then both start to air snap, at this I am now somewhere hysterical and the owners? This time it’s a lady, she seems to have just let the dogs out of her car and she is going to stay with the car not the dogs, even throughout my screaming for help, she just stands there, we were very lucky that Dexters dad was able to help us, cos I really can’t see how a ‘good’ outcome would have been possible, Teaks fine, I just have some black bruising to my legs, a sore wrist, and some teeth marks on my hands and they have been reported to the police, I have reported them mainly due to this scenario, “what would have happened if I had had a toddler with me?”

Thanks for letting me share, I read most posts daily, I just don’t have an awful lot of time to post recently, I get married in 3 weeks !!!

Hope everyones ok

x x

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Teak and I were attacked :-( ....

Sorry you had to go through that. I am glad Teak was not hurt.

As well as the police you should report it to your local dog warden. Dogs like that should not be set loose in a public place --it is against the law under the DDA (Dangerous Dog Act). The fact that you have injuries to show what happened will really help your case...sadly dog attacks are often overlooked unless someone is injured.* :

Keep us updated.

Hi Trickster, I wondered whether you would respond, think your the only other person on here thats in the UK? honestly these dogs are a nightmare, it seems they are some kind of breeding dogs, they breed the 9 month old Mastiff with the Rottie and until recently were breeding the Shapei (Dexter mentioned in my original post) and a Staffie together, the Shapei has only been with its new owners 7 weeks, they took him from the Mastiff owner, hes a beautiful little thing, very friendly towards Teak.

With regards to the police, they are interested as you say cos I have injuries, we just need to get the car registration number and then they will be able to help further, we have also brought a dog deterant spray to help me if I get in the situation again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I really despise these idiots with dogs... Lizzie was attacked when she was 12 weeks old by a huge staff (off lead)... I personally have never got over it and will not forget her crying and wetting herself with fear. All I kept thinking about was "what if my 3 year old was with me" I still feel nervous taking her out and am always looking over my shoulder, hubby takes her out more than me and lets her off for a run (I'm too scared to do so). I agree with Trickster, but unless you know the dog owners address it is also a bit difficult.

Teak, I am in the UK too...

Hi Lizzie, didn't know you were a UK person too :-) I, like you are now very wary of walking Teak on my own, I was always very aware of the dogs around us and would always look around the field before entering, however with these dogs there is no warning, they are so big they see and are next to you very quickly, as I say I was ok til that Mastiff did its low growl at us, its a no win situation as what do you do, stand where you are and protect yourselves as best as you can, run but they can outrun you, or stop one dog and risk the other dog protecting its mate. Luckily Teak is ok thank goodness and if it wasn't was Dexters dad I would have definitely had worse injuries, I just hope I never have to see them again, ever.

thanks for your reply x

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad Teak is OK and hope you were not injured too badly. How can that owner just stand there when her dogs are attacking? They ought to have their dogs taken away from them. That was really scary, but I'm glad you were able to protect Teak.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I know how you guys feel.

Due to being involved with a number of incidents with aggressive dogs and/or nutty owners, I now avoid peak walking times. I find this really helps. For us, it got a point where I was weary of walking my own dogs in public. Now, by avoiding certain times and places, we haven't had an incident in a long time. Unbelievably, I live in a small village...I can't imagine living in an area with a high population.

Try finding an area that is off the beaten to track to walk in. Most idiot dog owners take their mutts to public parks and don't bother walking anywhere that involves distance. Walking that little further afield means you only come across the dedicated dog owners.

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I lived in the UK for 2 years. I thought they had strict laws on dangerous breeds. More so than ours.

Oh there are laws, you just have to either know more about the dogs, like where they live or have had to have medical assistance due to the attack before anything can be done, our main priority at the moment is to protect ourselves and Teak obviously, and find out the registration number of the vehicle.

Thanks Trickster, its nice to know in a way its not only us this has happened too, as you say need to go out with the dedicated dog people, we were out 8am in the rain Sunday and that was great, just due to work we can't always pick our times so carefully

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast