Alpha/Omega Question

Thread: Alpha/Omega Question

DefaultAlpha/Omega Question

A neighbor of mine has a 12 week old black lab puppy. Now that she's had all her shots she has met Nellie twice. Of course she's a little land shark lol. She propels herself at Nellie and grabs whatever she can, ears, tail, neck, feet. So far Nellie has just tried to hide from her. Today she went into the bushes to get away. Does this mean she's an omega dog or just has a wonderful disposition? She doesn't growl at all or try to put pup in its place like all the other dogs in the neighborhood. I trust Nellie 100% when meeting new kids, dogs, etc., knowing she is so easy going.
    The pup is incredible gorgeous. Reminds me a little of Clint and Wigeon. I've got to get the name of the breeder. They're in Virginia and have 16 dogs of their own all champions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

DefaultRe: Alpha/Omega Question

Does this mean she's an omega dog or just has a wonderful disposition?
    She sounds like she is just very patient - not submissive - just that she would rather avoid the ankle biter than reprimand her. She might one day find the need and that's okay but I would let her run and hide from the little shark and not force her to take the abuse!!!!

Nice for you to say that a gorgeous pup reminds you of my father/daughter team. I just shipped semen down to VA today!

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

I think patient is appropriate to describe her also. My dogs act very differently around pups, who like this one, hangs from them with their teeth. I'm convinced they just know it's a little one.
    Brenda from Connecticut

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I wish Henery was as patient as your Nellie. Oh boy, he doesn't think twice about telling a pesky in-your-face puppy who's boss. Which is funny, since he's normally a very easy going, submissive dog. He'll usually wrinkle his nose and if the pup doesn't get the hint, he'll move away and leave the pup be.

Sharon, I'm going to find out the name of the kennel in Virginia and I'll try and get a picture of the pup if the family will let me.

I also should have mentioned that since 2001 when I got Nellie she has been attacked by 2 separate chocolate labs. Both times she did not defend herself but ran from them. I had to step in to protect her.

WigWag Guest

I also should have mentioned that since 2001 when I got Nellie she has been attacked by 2 separate chocolate labs. Both times she did not defend herself but ran from them. I had to step in to protect her.
    She displayed very typical of what I call "true Labrador temperament". I talk to people who come for mutual interviews for puppies about this very topic. I tell them that they need to be careful when at dog parks and meeting new dogs because when a Labrador is attacked they don't know what to do! They will either stand there in disbelief or run away so it's up to the owners to be there for them and don't expect the dog to defend themselves in most dog fight situations.

Thank you for the reply Sharon. She may come from a back yard breeder but she is one wonderful dog, my heart dog.
    She was found in the mountains of Western Maryland on Christmas Day 2000.

There is a Black Lab puppy that comes to the lake with us that acts like this. Oona bit her twice last week when she wouldn't stop acting up and she has calmed down a little bit since and gives her her space.
    Olie

I agree with Sharon.

Nellie is just patient.
    It looked like Dan would bully Leo forever because of the way he messed with him and the sweet, gentle way Leo handled it.
    Dogs are some of the most patient creatures with their young.

When the pup gets older Nellie will be there to make sure that nothing gets out of hand.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Nellie is just a sweetheart. Maybe when neighbor puppy matures and stops all the puppy nonsense, Nellie will have a playmate.