I think Boomer is sick! Help? UPDATE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think Boomer is sick! Help? UPDATE

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

DefaultI think Boomer is sick! Help? UPDATE

**UPDATE**
    So, almost immediatly after I last posted, I called the emergency vet (because I was kind of thinking bloat too). She thought that's probably what it was and told me to immediatly get in the car and drive to Grand Rapids (about 30 min. away) to the emergency clinic. My mouth was totally dry, and I was shaking like crazy. We drove 85 mph and it was still the longest trip ever. When we got there, they took X-rays and did bloodwork and found out that he was TOTALLY OKAY!! The vet there was 90% sure it was bloat too, but everything looked fine. She said he probably has some bad gas and I'm supposed to keep him on a bland diet for the next 3 days. He is only supposed to eat 3 tablespoons of food every couple of hours, and not to eat or drink anything until tomorrow. I know he's really thirsty and he keeps looking for water, poor guy. He may not be completely out of the woods yet...we have to keep a close eye on him. I have to make sure there is no further bloating and discomfort. He IS laying down for longer periods of time and he's not panting so much, so I think he's feeling a little bit better, although still uncomfortable. 4 hours and $430 later and he just has gas. : First time ever that I'm wishing for him to fart. Now I have to finish cleaning up puke from before our trip to the emergency room. Keep him in your thoughts/prayers though, in case this isn't over yet. Thanks guys.

Boomer has puked 4 times since I've been home from work.* He seemed to be fine at lunch and there were no puke spots waiting for me when I got home, so it must have just started.* I think he might be done puking now, he's acting a little less draggy, but he keeps doing this weird thing with his back legs.* Like he starting to stretch...just doing it randomly while he's walking.* He can't seem to get comfortable, and lays down and sits up...sits down, starts walking.

He's been playing pretty hard with my folk's little dog (they are visiting), but I can't imagine that he got injured.

Any ideas?* Poor Boomer, I'm worried.* * * ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I think Boomer is sick! Help?

Has he pooped? If so, was it normal? Is he willing to eat? Drink water?

Could he have gotten into anything that might cause a blockage? I know I'm being way alarmist, I freaked out when I thought Toby had one. I suppose the stretching could be his way of trying to get more comfortable if his tummy hurts, and I know that Toby can get pukey if he's played too hard in the heat. I think someone once posted that it could also be a symptom of a blockage, but in spite of our scare, I don't have experience with blockages.

Sorry I'm not more help, someone else will probably have a better idea. In any case, I hope Boomer gets better and it's nothing serious. Hang in there and update when you can. Good thoughts coming your way.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

He did not poop this morning.* He usually does, but sometimes he will "save" it until noon.* I didn't think much of it, and I didn't notice if he pooped when I got home because I've been busy trying to feed and take care of my parents dog.

He is drinking plenty of water, but he isn't interested in eating (he's a pretty finicky eater, so this isn't terribly unusual either).* I'm trying the old standby - yogurt - but he doesn't want that.

He has not puked for about a half hour now.* He is panting a lot.* *??? Also, his stomach seems like it might be a little bulgy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Again, this may not be much help, but I think there's been a lot of doggy flu going around and there have been a number of dogs who have had severe gastrointeritis (like Toby did). Is he holding that water down? It might be overheating, if he's panting, too. What about a special treat, like cheese or something?
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Janna, what happens if you push gently around his tummy? Is it guarded? Is he visibly uncomfortable? Do you have an emerg vet close by?

There are a few things you've said that would worry me a bit (but I'm easily worried!!).. that he can't get comfortable, that he's thrown up 4 times in a few hours (what's coming up?), and that his tummy seems bulgy...

My (always) fears are either bloat or obstruction.

I know for Henry that when he pants excessively when he's obviously not hot, he's uncomfortable...

Sending good thoughts and prayers that Boomer feels better soon! Will be pacing here with you...

bibber is offline Senior Member

Check out this post by Dukesdad, it has a link to his website about bloat.* It sounds like Boomer is having a couple of they symptoms, but the thing that's throwing me off is that he is throwing up, and I think that if they have bloat then they gag but can't throw up.* I would be worried about an obstruction too.* But like Felicia, I am easily worried. If you can get some water or food down him and he throws up again, I'd take him to the emergency vet. Hope Boomer feels better soon. Please keep us posted.
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...html#msg133787

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

I'd woory about bloat. If you think its even remotely possible get to an emergency vet now! If its bloat its life threatening

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Ditto to the last three posts. I first thought bloat too, but the throwing up doesn't fit. If his tummy is bulging and he seems uncomfortable (the leg-stretching), I think a trip to the emergency clinic would be good if for no other reason to set your mind at ease. Our minds too!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    I first thought bloat too, but the throwing up doesn't fit.
    This is what I thought. I would go to the vet. I really hope Boomer's ok...I'll be saying a prayer.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Yup I'm thinking bloat, he is acting just like my bosses dog when he had it.
    Olie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast