crate training

Thread: crate training

Defaultcrate training

i've got an approximately 10 week old yellow lab...trying to crate train him....he's fine during the day in not wetting it, however, at night he gets it flooded....what can i do to help him not go in the crate at night?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: crate training

A puppy that young probably needs to go out at least 2x during the night. You might try getting up a couple of times at night. How long do you leave him in it during the day? Since dogs are den animals, they will usually not soil their dens unless there is no other option.

He's in the crate for 4 hours at time with no problems

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If he's wetting at night I think you're going to have to set the 'ole alarm clock to get up and take him out for a potty break in the middle of the night. While this is absolutely NO FUN it's better than cleaning up a mess...and your pup shouldn't get used to living in his soiled bed either. It'll just make housetraining harder.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Yep, you're going to have to get up with him for a while. I usually also take up the water bowl for my puppies after 8:00. Once they are older I leave water out all of the time.

I was going to suggest no water after 8 or so (depending on what time you usually go to bed), and taking him out to potty before you go to bed. I remember having to take Henry out every night around 3am until he was about 12-13 weeks old. They simply can't hold it that long.

Also, how big is your crate? If there's enough room for him to pee at one end and sleep at the other, it's too big. Wire crate? Plastic crate? You can MacGuyver a divider in there (some wire crates come with one) to make sure he has just enough room to turn around and lie down. That's it.

Good luck!!

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Also, how big is your crate?
    Yes - my question exactly. If he's got too much room to head down to the end and pee and curl back up in a dry spot; then I'm afraid he needs something smaller.

He'll tend not to want to "go" in such a small space, and perhaps give you a bark/yelp to let you know.

Brenda from Connecticut

He must have known i was talking about him!!! he didn't wet the crate last night and didn't wake up to go out either! he's also been going to the door to go outside with another dog i have that is deaf! let's hope tonight is good too. i've looked into the size of the crate, it's big enough to go into and turn around and lay down.