Bitey Face advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitey Face advice

DefaultBitey Face advice

Well, I got through my 1st week as a 2 lab dad. Picked up Bob (aka SpongeBob) last Wed. and he is the dream dog. He is 60# yellow male about 1 year old. Where my 1st one Darla is total high energy and lives by the motto "so much to do and so little time" he is "call me when its time for lunch". Darla is taking the lead as the alpha but not by much.

Anyway, regarding bitey face. I know its part of the pack structure but for those with 2 dogs do yours play bitey face daily or eventually does the alpha leave the other alone? Do you let them finish or interupt?
    Any other tips for a 2 dog house?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bitey Face advice

We just got Max on Fri. I will be watching this thread as well. I have just let them sort it out themselves. I have removed the collars for inside play. I have read many stories here that ended in a bad way because of collars getting caught. I only step in when the humping starts.

Welcome to Bob!

My 2 always play biting face..
    if they get too crazy in the house & start bouncing off the furniture
    I call a time out - otherwise I usually let them go ahead & play
    at times - the sounds that come out of them sounds like they're killing each other
    they bark & talk to each other too.
    shadow may initiate play or shayna instigates sometimes

in my house my 2 are similiar to yours
    shadow is always go go go
    shayna lays around all day & gets up when she hears cheese come out of the fridge

congrats & good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

As Claire said !

Mine are the same

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

We have at least 3 or 4 good rounds of bitey face a day here. If it ever gets out of control I step in and break it up.

And it's fun to see how they initiate bitey face. They may nudge an ear, "peck" a side with a paw or nose, or even quietly just look at each other. They have their own signals/body language to invite each other to the game.
    Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

And mine usually finish when one of them lets out a "yelp" or Darla going to the deep throaty growl and Bob backing off. She kinda fights dirty and her main tactic is to grab his hind leg. I will interupt if it seems to get out of hand but I am hoping Bob who was a stray is not under stress with her.

Anyone know of any other signs of acceptance from the established dog?

Duke and Freckles play "fight" every evening. Either one will initiate the play but more often it's Freckles. He will poke at Duke with his paw until Duke gives in and "attacks". Only problem is recently I have noticed that the side of Duke's face is showing the bite marks. They both go in for physicals this week and I'm going to ask the Vet if there is any danged of infection if indeed those are tiny punctures.
    As for acceptance, if your dogs are playing then they have bonded. Just be sure to treat both dogs the same in every way. If you show favoritism the other dog will pick up on it very quickly.

Hunter is offline Senior Member

It is a daily ritual at my house, and when the neighbors Lab shows up all hell will break loose, jumping, biting, tugging, animals destuffed, then i usually kick them out of the house where the buttucking begins.

Katy Guest

There is a nightly round of bitey-face here too. I let the dogs handle decide when it ends, unless there is risk of something getting damaged. They really enjoy it and its so cute to see one of them initiate the play.

Morning time is bitey face time around here. After they have gone out and come in from outside .. IT'S AWWWWN!
    Always Emma who intitiates it and the Wheaten finishes when she has had enough.
    It took a few weeks for Emma to know when to stop, but she does "read" our other dog's body language now and stop when she wants to.

They say unless there is blood shed to let them sort it out. They will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast