Why do other dogs growl at him? (even other labbies)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do other dogs growl at him? (even other labbies)

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhy do other dogs growl at him? (even other labbies)

I have noticed that every time I let buck meet another dog he gets snapped at or growled at. I thought maybe he was biting their ears or something but I watched closely and he just licks their ears and face. He does put his paws on them but in a way that makes him look like he is trying to give them a hug. He mostly prances around the other dog and jumps up and down. It's when he begins to lick their head and ears and such and gets jumpy is when they all snap and growl. Sometimes just the licking even sets off the other dog. Buck doesn't realise he needs to back off when they send out the first growl. If I don't pull him back he just keeps doing what he is doing and that's when teeth are flashed and he still doesn't get it!!!
    Most of these instances occured with older dogs. From about 1 years old (not so old) to 6 year old being the oldest.

What is he doing that's setting them off? Can I do something that will not make the other dog upset? Or is he just an annoying puppy and the older dogs want him to calm down?
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Why do other dogs growl at him? (even other labbies)

Well, he's doing something that is annoying the other dogs. It could be the putting his paws on them part - that is a dominant behavior for dogs and is not appropriate for a puppy to be doing to an older dog. It could also simply be that he won't back off when he is told to. If you can continue to socialize him with an older dog that will just warn him off and not really bite him that would probably do him a world of good. Puppies will learn proper behavior from other dogs much better than from any human.

That is what I was thinking.
    We go to training class once a week and I made a request to the trainer about if he could play a little with other dogs there. There are three other labs there. Two males and a female. All three of them are 1 years old or a little more. The female and the one male do well with Buck but the other male always sounds like he will rip Buck's throat out. Well he isn't allowed to play with Buck...I guess exposure is the best I can do and hopefully he will learn his boundaries without getting hurt. It just makes me feel awful when the other dogs react that way. Feels like I am doing something wrong that is making them hate my pup.

We were at a picnic on saturday and an aquaintance had brought his two year old lab/husky mix. Very calm dog till she'd see Buck. She'd just growl at ihm and bark at him and he was probably 10-15 feet from her tied to a tree just whinning to me because he wanted to sit with me.
    At one point the other dog's owner brought her over to Buck and he began to lick her face while she wanted to sniff him. But he wanted none of that he just wanted to lick her face and she pulled out all hre teeth and growled and barked at him : I just didn't know if something is wrong with my dog or theirs :

Buck, my puppy, is "that annoying guy" :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beau gets the same thing at a lot of initial meetings...he is a "pawsy" dog. Even at school when he plays there are a couple of dogs that will "tell him off" until he plays with out the paws. They wil growl and show teeth but the rest of the body language is okay...no hackles raised or anything. We have let them play and he has gotten to the point where he gets the hints. He just gets soooo excited and is so much bigger. Puppies do need to learn their pack order. He loves to play with a 1yr old Dobie...but when they first met Hunter really put Beau in his place...now they play and romp together and if Beau gets out of hand Hunter tells him and they continue.

Sounds like Bucky & Beau would get along famously!

haha yea maybe Bucky and Beau can play with each other "Paw style" and get all that pawing out of their system lol.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Ahhh, now this is something I have a lot of experience with! Oh yes!

He does put his paws on them but in a way that makes him look like he is trying to give them a hug.
    Ooops! There's your problem (or at least part of it). That is considered very, very bad doggie manners. It's very dominant. How do I know? Because everything you just said describes Mr. Angus to a T! Oh yeah.

Angus' deal is that he was adopted very, very young. WAY too young. He was only 4 weeks, as best I can calculate, when he was separated from his Mom and litter. Therefore, he missed out on a very critical period in learning how to get along with others of his species. :P

He has gotten much, much better, with a LOT of socialization, and I think Simon helps keep him in line too. But for the longest time, every single other dog he would meet would growl at him. Then the owner would inevitably say something like, "WOW, I can't believe Rocko growled at him. I have never seen him do that before, ever!" :-[ Well, that would be because he's never met such a rude doggie as Angus before...

Hey, but don't feel bad about it! I am really not sure if it's something you can "teach" a dog, how to have good manners with other dogs. I really think that's something other dogs need to teach. Maybe some controlled socialization with other friendly, good dogs and responsible owners would be in order. (NOT a dog park! Oh NO! Not for Bucky or Angus! That would be cruisin for a bruisin!)

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

man! Buck is one ill mannered puppy! : Hopefully the older pups in his training class will show him how to behave. He used to play with a big st. bernard who was the same age as him. It was funny to watch him shove his head in the st. bernards mouth and then the st. bernard would try to do the same to Buck...except the St. Bernards head was too big :P Seems like he gets along well with dogs his age but not with the older ones.

Although he did real well in doggy daycare with older dogs.

Is licking their face some kinda dominance thing too? Because that's what happened with the 2 year old huskylab mix on saturday. She wanted to do the doggy sniff thing and he just wanted to lick her face. Oh well more exposure to other dogs in a controlled setting with good owners seems to be the way to fix this issue.

Perhaps I will look into sending him to doggy daycare once a week in addition to his play time that he gets to have at training class.

I'm no expert, but I think that the doggy sniff thing is the "mannered" way to meet. I think that they're also supposed to great each other from the side and not head on. Lexie loves to do the paw thing. She's done it to some dogs in the neighborhood and really got some snarls....I'm really trying to work on her greeting skills when we're on our daily walks.

She doesn't do the pawing at the doggy park until she properly greets the other dogs; I think that this may be because she's suddenly met by multiple dogs who want to sniff her so she just gets right in line and starts sniffing too. This has helped us in the neighborhood.

You don't have play time during training? Maybe you can get with the other dog owners and try meeting 30 minutes before or after class. I meet with a shepard's mom right before class and that helps a lot with Lexie's exuberance during class.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

More doggy day care... Ender gets along with every dog ... even the alpha-dominant ones... he knows when to submit and who he can be crazy puppy with. He did doggy day care 12 weeks to 6 months old once per week.

OR... alternatively... you can bring Buck over and Ender will play with him
    ~Lindsay

lol I KNEW connie would reply about angus because she went though the same thing with him.
    And heck it DOES hurt your feelings when all of these other dogs are rejecting your baby!

Emma uses the paws a lot here and our 13 yo Wheaten despises it and has put her in her place on a number of occassions.

He will learn what to do and not do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast