When You Leave Your Home w/o Your Dog
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When You Leave Your Home w/o Your Dog

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen You Leave Your Home w/o Your Dog

when you go to work, or do some shopping, etc., and leave your dog at home, do you just leave? Or do you give a Kong, a treat, and run to the garage? LOL

Zoe usually gets a stuffed frozen kong, plus a baby kong smeared w/a bit of peanut butter and no fat cream cheese. Do they really need a distraction when you leave?

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When You Leave Your Home w/o Your Dog

It depends on how guilty I feel about leaving!

Like, when I took Simon to agility yesterday morning but had to leave Angus behind, I felt bad because one dog was going somewhere fun and the other was not. So, that called for a Kong! :P

Otherwise, just everyday leaving to go to work...I make Kevin do it! I make sure I'm the first one out so I don't have to see the sad faces! I'm a whimp that way.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

pj

i give my two dogs one or two old mother hubbard treats each and say g'bye. they're usually gobbled up before i even shut the door so i know they don't serve as much of a distraction lol, but it makes ME feel better :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Until DH was hospitalized, either one of us could just leave. Put the trash up because of Flynn, natch, but other than that? Out we'd go.

Now it's pretty much the same unless I have my backpack over my shoulder and car keys rattle. Flynn begins the leaping, grand jete routine and has to be crated. One little cookie, DH by the crate door and Flynn is in heaven.

Seamus and Flynn

If Cierra is here we just leave. We don't want a dog fight over treats.

If Cinnamon is alone she gets a slab of roll-up or if there are slices of leftover roast beef, chicken or pork she may get that. When she was being crated she always got a piece of roll-up when she went into her crate. In fact if she saw the roll-up come out of the fridge she was sitting in her crate. Now she sits in the kitchen while I slice and runs to her bed to eat it.

But she isn't left alone that often as mum or dad are usually home.

georgie is offline Senior Member

We have a routine. Molly has had run of the house so when we leave for work in the morning I tell her "I'm going to work...watch the house" & I give her a biscuit. Now Abby still is crated & her routine is about the same. We go out to potty, I tell her "I'm going to work" & then "kennel." She goes in her crate with a few smalls treats.
    I know it sounds crazy but it works for us. No problems. Oh..I do leave the tv on for Molly. Abby is in her crate in the family room. No tv is on.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

All mine are gated in our family room, where there is always a bucket of marrow bones and tennis balls. 99% of the time they know when I'm about to leave, and all shuffle in and take their respective spots. I always throw them a quick treat- and leave.

If they're not in the family room - I say "kennel" and they know to go in - always a treat then gate the room.

(Sometimes I leave the TV on (depends how long I go for).
    Brenda from Connecticut

Henery is not often left home alone... during the week he goes to daycare, so on the odd days that daycare is closed, or if I go out in the evenings/weekends, he gets a big cookie or frozen Kong in his crate!

I tell him "in your house!", he gets his cookie or Kong, and then I tell him "I'll be back later! Love you!" and leave.

I leave the tv on for him too!

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

Routine leavings, like to go to work get a "be good" and "guard the house" and I'm gone. Less routine ones, especially when one dog is dog and the others are not get a kong with something in it.

patm is offline Senior Member

If I am going to leave them, I say "I'm going bye,bye - you stay. Be goober dogs (means "be good dogs"). If I'm leaving for work in the morning, I give them each a large milkbone dog biscuit. I never try to sneak out - I let them know that I am going. They either stand and look at me, or if they have biscuits, they run into the livingroom, assume their places and don;t even watch me leave. I took them to my parents this weekend and we left them a couple of times at my parents house alone - I did the same routine - I think that it helps them to have a strict routine for leaving, then they "know" that you're coming back. I don't make a fuss or feel sorry for them, just tell them the same thing that I do at home. It seems to work pretty well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast