Oh Bother CGC set backs

Thread: Oh Bother CGC set backs

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultOh Bother CGC set backs

Jack and Baby Girl have been going to Advance Basic classes. Jack doesn't pull so much anymore. He does not bark or take offense to the other dogs in the Dog Club building.

Today we went to the Bark Park. First we went for a walk in the park to practice heel and some other commands. Jack and Baby are mostly stay at home dogs and interaction with dogs has been at class. About halfway through our walk we sat down on a trail side bench just to enjoy the view. A guy and his older chocolate Lab came by. Jack let out a long low growl that would not stop. I kept him on a short leash though he kept stretching to sniff at the Lab but when I gave him more leash the growl got louder. Admonishing him did not stop the growl. <SIGH> The Lab was trying to sniff me. Maybe Jack took offense?

The park has a collection of orphaned, injured and sick wildlife they are taking care of. Neither Jack or BG took more than a passing interest in them.

After the walk we entered the Bark Park. No other dogs were present. Jack took an interest then delight in the dog trestle. He went up a couple of steps got off , then put a critical eye on the rest of it from the ground. He then ran up and across and back several times. BG tried to get onto the top from the side and said forget it. She was not interested in climbing the stairs. They then explored the enclosure as we sat on a bench near the fence.

The fence is about 3.5' high. Big mesh. Jack saw a large golden retriever on leash coming along the fence on the outside and rushed to the fence to greet it and started barking and rushing along the fence. That attracted Baby who trotted along side the fence sniffing. At one point the golden stuck her nose through the fence and Baby started barking and lunged at the fence. The owner walked on with her dog and did not come into the Bark Park while we were there.

One smaller dog and owner did come into the park. We were on the other side away from the entrance. Jack started that way but one "Jack, Come here" and he turned right around and came front and sat.

I am a little concerned about their fence behavior, and meeting a friendly stranger and their dog for the CGC/TDI exam on the 26th. Most times they do not react. Today they did. Is it because they were the only dogs in the Bark Park or because of something else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Oh Bother CGC set backs

Well, not sure! ??? But it sounds like they don't meet other dogs on a regular basis, so with more exposure would come a numbness to it, I would think. Or at least a little less excitement.

I will tell you, greeting another dog was one of three Achilles' heels we had on our first go-round with the CGC. Actually, it was also the only thing that tripped us up the second time as well, but our very kind evaluator gave us the opportunity for a do-over.

Angus' problem is a little opposite of yours, though...his issue with greeting another dog is that he LOVES to greet. He could not keep his butt on the ground or his nose out of the other dog's rear. :

What worked for us on our re-do was for me to heel up to the owner/dog, tell him firmly sit and stay, then reach out with my hand and find the other owner's hand, shake, and move on...all without taking my eyes off his eyes for even one second. My body English was always turned towards him as well. Also, if you can make sure your body is positioned so that they cannot make eye contact, that helps too.

I feel for you! I didn't think we'd ever pass the CGC because of that one little item! But remember, you can (and should) communicate with your dog the entire time. Go out there with the mindset that everything you have....your body language and your voice...needs to be geared toward letting him know what is expected.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I think when you're doing the "meeting friendly stranger with a dog" part, they'll be just fine. You will be heeling along, shake hands and keep going. Just talk to them and encourage them to stay right at your side.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Dogs are often a bit more aggressive along a fence. Many dog parks have a gate within a gate so that new dogs can enter the park easier and without other dogs surrounding them at the gate. I agree with Monnie and wouldn't worry about the "meet a friendly stranger" it will be controlled and you can talk to your dog through the entire greeting. Hang in there

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I agree with the other replies.
    Hang in there they will be fine..

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

I agree with the others. Although Nellie had passed advanced obed. class we took the CGC test last September at our Lab Rescue picnic without having practiced for it. I figured the worst that could happen was that she/I fail. She can be very rampunctious when meeting new dogs because she's so friendly. She aced the exam. I wouldn't worry about your two, they will do fine.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I bet Jack & Baby Girl will be fine. Molly is exuberant meeting new people but she aced her CGC/TDI exam also. We took three weeks of class work/practice before the exam. It is always better in the controlled environment of the class setting.
    Good luck.