Bolting from car
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolting from car

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultBolting from car

Willow loves going for rides, problem is when I stop and go to open the door she tramples over anyone in her path to be the first one out usually giving my fingers a good twist as I try to hold her back and scratches on anyone else that happens to be sitting in the car with us. The bigger she gets the harder this is to do.

The bigger she gets the more of a nuisance this is becoming. I want to be able to get out first if for anything her safety. I don’t want her bolting out and getting loose and hit by a car.

Also once is a while if I make a quick stop and try to leave her in the car she goes nuts this I can under stand but the exiting the car is a safety concern for me. She’s fine in the car other than that.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Bolting from car

OOH this is where my one of my fav. comands come in! WAIT! It has worked VERY VERY well for us!
    I am sure others will have great advice for teaching this. Dakota listened to it once and just did it. Never really had to correct her so I hope someone can help you with the comand!

I never have this problem with Oona because I've taught her from the beginning to sit in the car until I release her. If she gets up before the command I close the door and she doesn't get out.
    But I also do alot of dog rescue on the weekends and I would never trust those dogs to be loose in the car. I tie their leashes to something in the car, in my Saturn its the harnesses in the rear window that were designed for baby seats. If Oona was the type to bolt from the car I would have a second leash tied in to one of those harnesses and clip it to her collar whenever she got in the car.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I had that trouble with Judy when she was young. Once I nearly had a heart attack when she bolted out of the car in a busy WalMart parking lot. Luckily some people caught and held her for me. This is very dangerous, and you need to tie Willow in the car until she learns the stay command. There are car harnesses you can get at a pet store, or just use a regular harness connected to a seat belt. I would be afraid to leave a dog in a car tied to a neck collar unattended. Teach her "stay". When you pull into your garage, tell her "stay until I call" and don't let her get out before you. Keep the car door open and make her sit/stay in the car until you call.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I second teaching the "WAIT" command -- it's useful in so many situations, including this one. I also agree w/ using a doggie seat belt. Once she's strapped in, she's not getting out w/o you.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

You should definitely teach her the "wait" command, and from now on you must never let her out of a car, crate, or door without your permission. This is one of the first things I teach my puppies, as I travel a lot and this is definitely a safety issue - as well as being annoying. Two young dogs were killed at an interstate rest stop in my area recently after they bolted from the car and ran out into the road.

Using a seat belt to tie her into the car is a good idea if you can't travel with a crate, however, you need to make sure that you are also teaching the wait command, not just using the seat belt to hold her until she is unclipped. If my dogs ever try to make a move out of the car without my command I block them with my body and shove them back into the car/crate, then make them wait until I do give the command to come out. I do this EVERY TIME we exit the car, whether we are safely in our own garage or out on the interstate. This must be a hard and fast rule everywhere you go, as your dog doesn't know the difference between a safe place and a busy road.

I also make my dogs wait to be released after I take a leash off of them. Unclipping the leash is not a signal to take off - they must wait until I give them the OK command before charging off to play.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

I'm also a big "WAIT" person! I use it at meal time (making them wait before they begin to eat), I use it getting out of the car, while I put on leashes and getting the kids out, etc., - and for anything else that requires them to be patient.....the reward is coming.

The key with "WAIT" is to also teach them a RELEASE word - whether it be "okay!" or "let's go" - be consistant in what you pick. It will be his cue to go ahead with whatever it was he was waiting for

Start out small when training - use a treat. Put him in a sit/down with a leash - put a treat down in front of him and when he goes for it - give him a yank and say "WAIT". Keep doing this, until he learns not to touch it. When he's still and waiting - use your release word and let him have it. Remember, short sessions at first and release at the first sign of his control. Make the waiting "sessions" a little longer each day, and then begin to incorporate it in othe aspects.

Good luck!!!
    Brenda from Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
    OOH this is where my one of my fav. comands come in! WAIT! It has worked VERY VERY well for us!
    I am sure others will have great advice for teaching this. Dakota listened to it once and just did it. Never really had to correct her so I hope someone can help you with the comand!
    Yep-except it's stay here. Otherwise my BC would bowl you over.

We use WAIT too. One thing I might add that our trainer suggested is to not use the work OK as a release word. She said if you are standing at your front door and you have your dog in a wait while you are talking to your neighbor and you say "OK, talk to you later" Boom...pup is out the door. She suggested using a word that you don't often use in conversation. I still have a hard time. I catch myself saying..."OK, free" Oops...for me just goes to prove how I need more training than Lucy!

Good luck!

Put her in a sit/stay and do not let her do it. Practice alone and with other people in the car too.

I'd go back to basics with her too. Not letting her out of doors, crates until you say it is ok. Just to let her know she needs your permission to do those things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast