Simon's First Agility Class
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simon's First Agility Class

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSimon's First Agility Class

...was SO much fun! ;D

It's a VERY small class. There were only three of us there today! Next week there will be one more, but still small enough to get lots of individual attention. Yay!

The instructor is very, very good. I like her a lot. I know her from the club, but have never taken from her. She is there with her standard poodles regularly, as they compete in obedience as well as agility. She has a horse farm out in the country, with two very large agility rings set up in the side yard. There is a huge old oak tree beside the rings, and the lower limbs form a wonderful little shady room for the spectators. Very pastoral setting. So peaceful. What a relaxing way to spend a Saturday morning!

Simon is going to really dig this. He took all the obstacles with no hesitation whatsoever. My moment of Zen came when the instructor referred to him as "a very happy, confident dog." ;D Mission accomplished! Indeed, he was rolling around on his back between exercises, dancing in celebration when he got something right, play-bowing to every other dog who came within sniffing distance, and just being an all-around cute little guy. It was especially pleasing to hear that others see him as confident, because the dog I brought home from the shelter was very sweet, but somewhat lacking in the confidence department. I can't tell you how happy it made me to think that I have helped him overcome that!

He was so, so cute, you guys. Once we were standing by the A-frame between exercises. He started up it, so I said, "Oh, Simon, do you want to go up?" I led him up and over the A-frame and he LOVED it! Turned right back around and wanted to go again. And again. And again. She isn't planning to introduce us to the full-out A-frame for another several weeks, but Simon really seemed to enjoy it so much, why not? ;D

Another girl in the class asked if he had had obedience training. I said yes, some, he has his CGC and has been through two levels of obedience. She said, "Ohhh, I could tell he's had some training. He's so good." ;D Simon never fails to elicit a "he's so good" from other people in classes we've taken. He really is just a pleasure to be around. Sweet boy.

OH...the first thing the instructor asked me when she saw him: "He looks like a flat-coat." This is the second very experienced dog person to make that observation upon seeing Simon. If you see him in person, he really does.

Well anyway, such a fun morning! I am very excited about this instructor and this class!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Simon's First Agility Class

YAY!! Good boy, Simon!! ;D

He certainly has come far in leaps and bounds from that scared little boy you brought home!! YAY Connie!

I can just see him pitter-pattering up and down the A-frame! That was Henery's favourite too!

Definitely a great way to spend a Saturday morning!! ;D

Sounds like you both had a terrific day!!!

You've done a wonderful job with him. From the sounds of it agility is right up his alley!!!

WTG Simon!!! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you and Simon are going to get hooked. Agility is so much fun and what I really like about it is that people are able to compete fairly quickly (at least in a Jumpers course) so that really motivates people to keep at it.

Thanks for sharing your lesson with us. I hope you have many more fun times with him.

Kwinon is offline Senior Member

Simon & Agility . . . sounds like a match to me!
    Enjoyed hearing about Class #1 and can't wait to hear more.

debjen is offline Senior Member

sounds like a good time...I love seeing dogs and owners enjoying agility for the first time

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

awesome report! sounds like agility is right up simon's alley

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Sounds like you both had a great time! That would be neat if they had agility classes around here.
    Way to go Simon!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

That sounds like so much fun! I'm glad that Simon enjoyed it. True, he's made a lot of progress since you brought him home.

Sounds like Simon found his niche ;D Way to go good boy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast