Anyone Heard of a 130 pound
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Heard of a 130 pound

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone Heard of a 130 pound

lab?

We saw one at the vet yesterday. That's about 2 Zoes!
    The owner was so proud that he was so big...unaltered, he's trying to breed.

Later in the exam room, I mentioned the 130# lab to the vet and yes, owner is looking for a female with which to breed. Mentioned to the vet, "yeah, but he's not breed standard." Vet just smiled. ???

Is it okay to breed such a large lab? Is there a chance that the offspring will be smaller?
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anyone Heard of a 130 pound

If you want a 130# dog, get one that's suppose to be 130# like a Newfoundland.

Laura

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

OMG 130 pounds!!! I guess It's like my neighbours Rottie...and he is way too overweight! This lab must have been a GIANT!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mugs mom and dad is offline Senior Member

Was he fat?

~Michele,Mugs & Sassy~

You have got to be kidding. The largest I've ever seen was a 110 pound male and he had some Chessie in him.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I have friends (Bill & Diane) with a YM Lab, Ray-chee, which weighs 130 lbs. when he's a little overweight and about 125 when he's where he should be.

He came from a litter of pups that some BYBs (who aspired to be a Puppy Mill when they grew up) sold to a petshop.* They'd skimped on medical care and they gave the pups their shots.* But they didn't do it well and several pups died.* My friends' son, a college student, had a part-time job in the store and was given the pup by the owner.

The son brought "Ray-chee" back to his parents and asked them to keep him for awhile until he moved to a place that accepted dogs.* That was almost 5 years ago (Ray-chee was born 8-15-'01) and Ray-chee is still with Bill & Diane.

I gave Bill a ride home one day after church and Diane came out of the house holding Ray-chee when he was about 7 weeks old.* As I held him against my chest, Ray-chee reached up and gave me a kiss.*

I was a goner.* That brought back so many memories of my first Lab, Bess (BF, AKC bench line, 55 lbs., 1967-81).

I immediately got on the web and looked for breeders who had Yellows (I thought that was a better color for our scorching Kansas summers) from a field line stock (I thought, wrongly, they'd be smarter).* About 2 weeks later, I found Puff's breeder and Puff.

Puff was the runt of her litter (as was Bess, also) and, at 9 weeks age, weighed 6 lbs.* Her littermates were twice her weight.* Puff had been hand-fed by* the breeder's 2 preteen daughters because Puff couldn't compete with the others in the cafeteria line.

As it happened, Puff and Ray-chee were born on the same date.* Puff's littermates tend to be in the 80 lb. range.* Ray-chee has always weighed twice what Puff weighed at the same age as they were growing up.

He has a definite field line build (long legs, lanky, sickle tail, longer snout).* *He looks very much like a big Puff* -- or a tan Mastiff.* But he doesn't have the fluid grace of Puff in running.* Even when he walks, he tends to galumph along and it's even more so when he tries to run -- which is seldom.

Ray-chee and Puff played a lot of mock throat biting when they were together growing up.* Ray-chee was usually on top, Puff usually on her back, but then they'd exchange roles.* It was sometimes a little hard for Puff to find a place to stand.* They're still friends but they don't see each other often because Ray-chee is obsessed with mounting and humping Puff (they've both been neutered) and that embarrasses Bill & Diane.

Puff: YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-15-'01

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

YIKES!!! I have a friend who has a Lab that weighs 125lbs. I haven't seen him since he was a puppy, but she says he is a big boy.
    I get worried about Trooper and he is abt 75 lbs.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

That's Crash-sized. But no, sure haven't seen a Lab that big. Well now wait...there was a huge old boy down the street. I'll bet he was close to that. He was Crash-sized, I remember. Sweet old guy, but as he got older had so much trouble getting around. :'(

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugs mom and dad
    Was he fat?
    He may have been slightly overweight...but not what I would call "fat." He had a massive head, and huge, huge body! Kinda reminded me of a large GSD in a lab suit.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Mugs mom and dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TroopersMom
    I get worried about Trooper and he is abt 75 lbs.
    TroopersMom how old is Trooper?

How much to you all think Mugs weights? His siggy picture was taking 2 weeks ago.

~Michele,Mugs & Sassy~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast