Max is deffinately the dominant one

Thread: Max is deffinately the dominant one

DefaultMax is deffinately the dominant one

He has Bear on his back in all the bitey face wars. And has a few times tried to hump Bear. Poor Bear doesnt have an agressive bone in his body. Diamond has already put him in his place, now we are just waiting for Bear to take his pecking order. Max continues to go for the throat....any easy way to get that to stop?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zgirls is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Max is deffinately the dominant one

gosh, I don't have any advice about the throat thing........I guess they will sort it all out.....I know when Zeb gets too assertive, th ehubby steps in , growls at him , and Zeb will back off of Zoe because the 'Big Dog' has spoken..........good luck....
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

Cinnamon is alway on top in the bitey face games with Cierra on her back but in our household Cierra is the dominant dog in all other things. Cinnamon just wins bitey face as she is bigger but she is also very passive about food etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I personally wouldn't let Max come in a mess with the pecking order on day one. In time I think its fine that the 3 of them establish their order, but for now I would try and correct some of the dominant behaviour. It will also help to establish you role a top dog.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

when luke and taylor play bitey face, luke is pretty much always on his back, but that does to mean that luke is the "submissive" one.* luke has a lot of self confidence and secure in where he is, and he has nothing to prove.* i have read that many "alpha" dogs will act puppish and "submissive" during play sessions to allow the other dog enough confidence and clear communication that invites play fighting and biting.* when i see luke playing with puppies, it is the sweetest thing, because luke acts overly submissive, which puts the puppy at ease, allowing them to gnaw on and climb all over him.* of course, the opposite of laying on the back for playing could be indicative of "dominance."* i just wanted to point out that it could be either case or both, and often times, dogs take turns being on top or bottom.*

i'm not saying that max is not top dog, but you cannot look at any ONE factor in determining rank order.* natural alpha dogs tend to be easy going and has a lot of tolerance for things due to their self confidence and security, and they do not "win" in all situations because they simply do not care about everything.* one of the best indicators of alpha or top ranking dogs is to watch how other dogs interact with them in terms of following or their level of awareness of a particular dog.* between dogs, taylor definately watches and tries to access situations based on luke's reaction vs the other way around.

as far as bitey face rule enforcement, if you always stop the playing during throat grabbing, the dog should learn that that behavior causes the fun to stop.* the hard part is doing it each and every time, which i have never been able to do.* taylor is a throat grabber, but she has a soft mouth, and i let luke take care of himself most of the time.* if i don't like what i see, i say, Taylor Too Rough! and she stops and looks at me which her* face.** :*

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford