Max is not eating

Thread: Max is not eating

DefaultMax is not eating

I had a time last night getting him to eat, but he did. He hadnt eaten since breakfast. Now Im trying to get him to eat and he just wont. He will take a few in his mouth and walk away then drop whats in his mouth. Any ideas? Lord knows I never had this problem with Bear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zgirls is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Max is not eating

poor fellow....maybe the changes have overwhelmed him........have you tried hand feeding him? I know one time after I had been gone for a few days, Sam said Zeb wouldn't eat....he was upset that I was gone.....finally after I returned he got back to eating after we all got back in our routine....good luck.......
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Maybe it's just that he's not used to his surroundings and all that is going on.

Try taking him somewhere kinda quiet and feed him by hand. I hope he starts to eat for ya soon!
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You have just got Max, right? how long have you had him for? as already mentioned, he is probably just a little stressed about his new environment. Think of it like when you bring a new puppy home...the pup is often totally overwhelmed by its new surroundings and takes a couple of days/weeks to settle. Its the same for a rescue only the re-adjustment period can often take a bit longer depending on the dog.

Give him time and try getting him into a routine. It will help him settle.

I think everyone is right....Max has had a stressful week with all the travels and changes. I would try the hand feeding. I think once he settles in and realizes he is home he will eat and adapt to your routine.

It takes a few weeks for them to settle in. Dont push the feeding, he'll eat when he's hungry

Maybe he doesnt like the food you are feeding. What kind is it?

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Don't worry - big transition for him; give it 10 minutes and pick thefood up. He'll get hungry enough and learn when mealtime it, and eat.
    Brenda from Connecticut

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yep, I agree, it's the stress of all the changes.

When I got Jules from the Humane Association, we had her for a week before we sent her to Brenda. She stayed at my parent's house (bless their hearts). Anyway, since I feed the boys 2x a day, I suggested they do the same with her.

She wanted no part of one of the meals (now I don't remember if it was breakfast or dinner). She would eat the other one fine, but completely refused the other. I cracked it up to that she had only been fed once a day. ???

She also absolutely would NOT go outside for "last call." After 5:30 in the evening, she simply would not go outside to potty. She was fine all night without going, but it seemed so weird, because we take the boys out at 10:00, right before bedtime. But, that was OUR routine and not hers, apparently.

It took us several days to figure out all of her little quirks about when she wanted to eat, and when we needed to feed her so that we could get in a last call before she was ready to be in for the night (so I guess it was breakfast she was turning her nose up at!).

Give it some time. He will adopt a new routine. I think Jules is doing just fine with Brenda and her crew, and she never mentions having her on a special schedule of her own.

Edited to add: I can't remember if you were around for Jules? She was a sweet little girl I sprung from the Humane, and Brenda agreed to take her in. She has some very special issues with her spine, and Brenda has lots of experience with that. I just re-read what I posted and, in case you did not remember, thought it might have sounded like I had adopted a dog and then just randomly decided to ship her off. It was a rescue thing. Just wanted to clarify. :P

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever