What About Yogurt???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What About Yogurt???

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat About Yogurt???

Looks like Tank has some sort of ear infection going on. Of course I was thinking how can a dog taking megadoses of three different antibiotics get a freaking ear infection. After a few minutes thought I am thinking maybe it is a yeast infection caused by "too many antibiotics" I sent SU to the store for some yogurt as that works in humans with this problem. What do you guys think?
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: What About Yogurt???

I give Zora 1 big heaping tablespoon a day, per a reccommendation here, but it's for puppy vaginitus.

I read on another board that people give acidophilus capsules daily to help prevent/clear up ear infections. They should be refrigerated capsules.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

There really isn't enough acidolphilus in the yogurt to clear it up if it is already there. Giving acidolphilus pills will work better; but space it 4 hours apart from the antibiotic. I open up the capsule and sprinkle on their food. I'd clean his years out good; maybe resort to the purple ear solution on labby's site and keep up the capsules while he's on the antibiotics.
    Agree, the refrigerated ones are the best to get from the health food store.

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

Thank the Lord he had his last antibiotic this morning!

I wonder if this is not what might have caused his skin problem in those two places also.
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

georgie is offline Senior Member

I hope Tank feels better soon. Poor boy has had his share of problems. I guess all the antibiotics end up killing the good beacteria they need.

Dixies Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Tankie, it is one thing after another. (((hugs)))

Zymox you can buy it on line works great on yeast ear infections.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I wonder if this is not what might have caused his skin problem in those two places also.
    You know what, I'm thinking that's a pretty good guess!

Gosh, with the megadoses of antibiotics he's been on, I suppose it's not surprising that he would develop some kind of yeast overgrowth. Thank goodness it's the last one! Maybe when he comes off those, things will start to go back in place. Poor Tank! He's just been through so much this summer. Bless his big sweet heart.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

blaisberg is offline Member

DefaultRe: What About Yogurt??? (sorry, long)

Wow, Sandie, what an ordeal you and Tankie have been through. I've been spending most of my online time on the orthodogs site while Evan's been recovering from his TPLO and now that he's through his recovery period, I thought I'd start checking back on justlabs to see what everyone is up to.

I have to say, like others, I just love Tank! He's got the most gorgeous Lab face I've ever seen. I can't show my dogs your site or they'll want a pool like yours.

I spend a crazy amount of time researching dog health issues, and while I'm nowhere near a professional or an expert, I thought it might be helpful if I shared a little of my thoughts on what's going on with Tank.

The prednisone may have contributed to the elevation in the liver enzymes. Have you investigated alternatives?

I think the new food you've switched to will help more than you will ever know. Feeding a good food that eliminates a lot of the "fillers" that are in everything you can buy in a grocery store will do wonders for his immune system which is I think a key to building up his health again.

The ear infection is almost certainly from the antibiotics, and likely the other skin problems you've seen. Yeast lives on the skin of dogs, which is an organ, and it doesn't take much to throw off the balance. Antibiotics definitely will, swimming can cause an overgrowth of yeast, as can sensitivity to things like corn, which was an ingredient in his old food. Usually you want to give probiotics (acidophilus) while you're giving antibiotics (at least an hour away from the drugs so as not to counteract their effect), but that's water under the bridge.

Given that Tank needs as much help as possible to recover from his infections and from the drugs, I think you should look at supplements. In the long run, building a strong immune system can save you tons in vet trips and drugs. There are many good sources of information available. I'd start by looking at the b-naturals.com website which has a great newsletter (you can read the old copies through a link on the left hand side). (No, I'm not affiliated with them, I just read their stuff and buy some of the supplements). Another great publication is Whole Dog Journal. You can also do a google search on 'yeast overgrowth' and dogs and get some tips, but I'd highly recommend avoiding more drugs if you can get his ears under control quickly so he's not suffering.

I'd focus on getting the yeast under control, and try to do it without more drugs.

Evan and Charlie (my two yellow labs, 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 years old) get human supplements (you know from your Texas A&M bills that there's a premium for "dog" versions). They get vitamin C, vitamin E, Vitamin B complex, fish oil and Flexamin (gluc/chond/msm) daily.

When Evan was recovering from his TPLO surgery, he developed a lump on his neck, a little higher than where Tank's is, I think. We had it needle aspirated and the vet said it was tissue and lymphocytes - so an accumulation of white cells that formed a lump, presumably when his body was working on preventing or fighting an infection. He never ended up getting a full blown infection but since you know Tank did, it may be something similar.

Anyway, I wanted you to know that there's yet another person following the story of you and Tank, and wishing him a speedy return to full health.

Jocelyn (and Evan and Charlie)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast