Parvo outbreak in Nova Scotia

Thread: Parvo outbreak in Nova Scotia

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultParvo outbreak in Nova Scotia

SPCA warns of deadly virus affecting dogs
    http://www.herald.ns.ca/NovaScotia/521193.html
    By PAUL EVEREST

The Nova Scotia SPCA is warning the public about a high number of cases of canine parvovirus in the Halifax Regional Municipality and the Annapolis Valley.

The highly infectious disease affects dogs and puppies and can be lethal. It attacks the intestinal tract and can be transmitted to other dogs through feces or vomit. Humans and cats are not at risk.

According to an SPCA press release, it is unknown how many animals have been affected, but the society did say some infected puppies came from the Pets Unlimited store in the Burnside Industrial Park in Dartmouth and from a woman who sells puppies in Digby.

People with pets are urged to watch their dogs, especially puppies, for symptoms of the virus which include fever, lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting and bloody stool.

The virus can stay alive on surfaces outside the body for months. One cup of bleach diluted in 32 cups of water will kill the disease on some surfaces free of grass, dirt or organic matter. Otherwise, the SPCA recommends keeping dogs away from contaminated areas and yards which could be dangerous for up to six months

Pet store owners are asked to disinfect their businesses and prevent exposure of the disease to other animals if they detect the virus in their store.

For more information on the virus or to report a possible case, call 835-4798.

The store in question sells puppies and I will NOT buy from there because they are kept in cages and are often sick, and you KNOW they came from puppy mills..... The cost between $1000-$1500, and come with a one-year warranty! >
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tater Guest

DefaultRe: Parvo outbreak in Nova Scotia

I know this might be a stupid question but where is Nova Scotia? ??? And I am sorry to hear that, hope anyone that lives there keeps a good eye on the doggies. One of my dogs when I was younger had it and my parents had him put down.

bjdobson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    I know this might be a stupid question but where is Nova Scotia?* *???* And I am sorry to hear that, hope anyone that lives there keeps a good eye on the doggies.* One of my dogs when I was younger had it and my parents had him put down.*
    You put your location as "Jacksonville" and expect everyone in the world to realize that's in Florida, USA and you don't know where Nova Scotia is???* >* There are TEN provinces in Canada - 50 states in the US and we Canadians know ALL 50 of them!!!* And you don't know the ten provinces in Canada???* >* You can't even bother to go to "Google" and type in "Where is Nova Scotia?"* Sigh... how sad...

Nova Scotia is on the east coast of Canada, just up from Maine.* http://www.craigmarlatt.com/canada/g...political.html

Thank you for posting this, CoCo's Mom.* I hope to heck my dogs are safe.* I live in Dartmouth and that's much too close to comfort for me.* *:-[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bjdobson

I know this might be a stupid question but where is Nova Scotia?* *???* And I am sorry to hear that, hope anyone that lives there keeps a good eye on the doggies.* One of my dogs when I was younger had it and my parents had him put down.*
    You put your location as "Jacksonville" and expect everyone in the world to realize that's in Florida, USA and you don't know where Nova Scotia is???* >* There are TEN provinces in Canada - 50 states in the US and we Canadians know ALL 50 of them!!!* And you don't know the ten provinces in Canada???* >* You can't even bother to go to "Google" and type in "Where is Nova Scotia?"* Sigh... how sad...
    Your first post and you rail on one of our members?? Jeesh...a little harsh don't ya think?

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

ohhhhh.... I didn't see Tater's post asking about NS! Oops!

bjdobson - I live in Dartmouth too... I actually don't know all 50 states or their geography, so I don't mind questions like that. In fact, I like it when people are interested in where I am from, because its such a great place!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Tater Guest

ITs ok I am use to people getting mad at me for asking questions that I guess I should know. Its fine though I guess I understand where she can get mad. SORRY for making anyone mad in Canada.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bjdobson

Nova Scotia is on the east coast of Canada, just up from Maine.* http://www.craigmarlatt.com/canada/g...political.html

Thank you for posting this, CoCo's Mom.* I hope to heck my dogs are safe.* I live in Dartmouth and that's much too close to comfort for me.* *:-[
    This was totally uncalled for. In the time it took you to write this crap you could have properly responded. As I tell my HS students, the only stupid question is one that does not get asked. But I suppose we cannot all be nearly as perfect in everything as you.