Althea update 08.11.06 - UPDATE 2PM
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Althea update 08.11.06 - UPDATE 2PM

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultAlthea update 08.11.06 - UPDATE 2PM

******2 PM UPDATE*******
    Thank you all again for the support.* This has been a very scary experience, not only because Aly is so sick, but because DH and I were 18 hours away, in Maine.* The feeling of helplessness was so overwhelming.

Believe it or not, Aly is home.* We have to go back to the vet twice a day for the foreseeable future for nebulizer treatments.* She is on 5 medications in addition to the meds she gets through the nebulizer.* She looks a bazillion time better today than she did yesterday when we arrived.* She looked not only sick but extremely sad yesterday.* I believe our presence, along with all prayers and good thoughts, has really brightened her spirit.*

She is still very sick, but the vet beleives that proximity to her family will do more for her than hospital surveillance.* We do have to be cautious that we keep Tatum away from Aly, since Aly is contagious.* This will be a challenge and will require Aly to sleep without us at night.* I think it is still far better than having her stay at the vet in the isolation room.*

Nathan, thank you for the word of warning.* She seems to be feeling similar to how my mom says she felt when she had pneumonia, and I don't expect Aly to be back to full "Aly-ness" for quite a while.*

Oh, and she seems to be food spoiled.* They have been hand feeding her Innova EVO canned dog food and now she doesn't want kibble.* I'll let it go for now, but switching her back to "normal" food will be a challenge.

We are still scared, but feeling moments of hopefullness.*

Thank you all.

*****Original post*****

Thank you all for your kind wishes in this: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,14038.0.html thread.* It meant so much to me to have so many people praying for Aly and sending her good thoughts.* DH and I arrived home at 3PM yesterday.* It was a long day and a long drive.* Other than stopping to potty Tatum (who traveled like a champ!), we drove straight through.* We got to see Aly twice.* Her latest XRay shows some improvement in the lungs but the pneumonia is still obvious on the film.* The vet let us take Aly on a short (very short) walk and we sat with her for quite awhile.* The second time we saw her she seemed much happier than the first time, even though it was just a few hours later.* I think it is because she knew that we hadn't abandoned her.*

We purposely went to visit her twice (4PM and 7PM) because we wanted to her experience us leaving and coming back, so that she would know we will return each time we leave.* It also gave her a chance to rest in between visits.

We are going back this morning to potty her and visit again.* She is not eating but she did take some very small bits of her special bedtime biscuit when we left.* I hope she knew that since she was tasting her bed time biscuit that it was bedtime and that she would see us in the morning.* She has lost 6 lbs, which is significant in that it is 10% of her body weight.* She is also shedding like I have never before seen.*

We will visit her this morning and again tonight.* We are bringing her a frozen Kong stuffed with yogurt, peanut butter, and banana in hopes that we can get some food into her.* We are also hoping that the active cultures in the yogurt will help with the negative effects of all the antibiotics they are pumping into her.

So, she has shown a bit of improvement.* We are still scared out of our minds, but relieved to hear even a small bit of good news.

Please continue to pray and send her positive thoughts if you can.

Althea
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Althea update 08.11.06

So glad things are a bit improved. Continued good thoughts and prayers for your Althea. You must be so worried and exhausted.
    Hope you got a good night's sleep.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Poor girl! I send good thoughts and many prayers on her way ! Get better soon Althea!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh my gosh Jenn, I so missed that. So sorry to hear about poor Aly. Sending good thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

It must have been so good to see Althea. I'm glad to hear that she has had some improvement. Sending lots of prayers, good thoughts and hugs for your sweet Althea.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Dani is offline Senior Member

ALLY! Please continue to get better soon!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Well good to her she has improved! continue to get better Aly!

continued prayers for a full recovery for Althea

biscuit is offline Senior Member

Prayers for Aly to recover soon. How very scary for all of you.,..
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit

I am just seeing this...I am soooo very sorry.

Good thoughts and prayers on the way for Aly's recovery!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast