Need tips/help bottle feeding very young pup - Update-w/photo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need tips/help bottle feeding very young pup - Update-w/photo

ohenry is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed tips/help bottle feeding very young pup - Update-w/photo

-
    Update- I just want to say thank you and let you know the puppy is doing very well.* *Labby, I switched to the formula you recommended and feedings became much easier.

I am bottle feeding a 2+ week old pup, not lab.* The how and why of this story are long and stupid.*
    The puppy seems to be doing well- active at times- twitching while sleeping- urinating and bowel movements seem fine- mobility improving. I have even seen a few oz. of weight gain in the 48hrs he has been with me but i just don't feel the bottle feeding* is going well.* It seems awkward-* more licking than sucking and I don't feel he is taking in as much replacer as he should.* It seems like a wrestling match at times.* Any tips on position- favorite formula,started on Just Born ( dropped off with pup) have switched to esbilac- favorite* nipples for bottles.* All advise is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need tips/help bottle feeding very young pup

OH gosh, no advice, but good luck with the puppy.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

I use regular baby bottles with, lets see at 2 weeks, you could probably use premee or 0-3 month nipples. I hold puppies in my lap with in a position so that their head is higher than their butt, so they are on an incline. I hold and support the bottle in the bottle with my thumb, index and middle fingers and use my pinky and ring fingers under the puppy's chin. I bring my left hand over the puppy's head and put and thumb and index or middle finger on either side of the puppy's mouth to help seal around the nipple so the puppy doesn't suck in any air. I do this until they are finished nursing and I burp them just like you do a human baby. Don't over feed or you will cause the puppy to vomit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I forgot esbilac is fine. As the puppy reaches 3 weeks you can start to wean onto gruel as well. it is early but not a crisis. Don't stop nursing the puppy but you can add in the gruel.

Thanks izzy I will try positioning the puppy as you mentioned. I am amazed how Strong this little guy is, he really fights the bottle.

We just had our best volume feeding yet- about 2 tablespoon's, but most of it was licked- not sucked. Do you know how long it takes for a small pup to lick that much liquid, yikes!! , but anything in is good.

If this puppy had any of mom milk then he is fighting you because you are giving him substandard stuff in his opinion. It is kinda like getting used to regular Coke and only being able to buy store brand Cola. Although they use the same ingrediants it doesn't taste the same. If he ever had momma's milk he wants the real thing so I can understand why he fights you so much. ;D

labby is offline Senior Member

Good position (picture from the Little River Labs site)

I usually use formula #1 on this page.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/handfeeding.html

I also use premie nipples and a human baby bottle. Make sure the formula is warm enough without being too warm. Just like for a human baby.

Oops, meant to add that if he's not sucking make sure you check for a cleft palate. He might not be able to suck if he has one.

Laura

He did have his mothers milk for the first two weeks of life, so maybe that explains the fight. In the last feeding he clearly wanted the milk, just not the bottle. This is a step in the right direction.

Labby, thanks for the link and the picture. I had checked a different link on your site earlier. The chart on this one is helpful. I will print it and post it on the frig.. I have been going back and checking those tiny directions on the can, lose of sight and lack of sleep are catching up with me.

labby is offline Senior Member

Oh, about the fight. Stevie had an emergency spay when her pups were 5 days old. She was in the vet's clinic for about 8 hours. We had to feed the pups while she was gone. They didn't put up any fight and they had been nursed by her just before she left for the vet.

If they are hungry and if you feed them something that tastes decent, then they will nurse whether they've nursed on mom or not. I've never been able to get any puppy to drink that esbilac stuff.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    If they are hungry and if you feed them something that tastes decent, then they will nurse whether they've nursed on mom or not.* I've never been able to get any puppy to drink that esbilac stuff.
    I had been going to ask why you preferred the formula on your link-* I now know one of the reasons. ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast