New puppy and older dog

Thread: New puppy and older dog

DefaultNew puppy and older dog

Otis is 8. He's had free run of the house since almost immediately after we got him 3 1/2 years ago.

How do you deal with a new puppy that needs to be crated when the other dog has full freedom?

Does the uncrated dog bother the crated one? Should you keep the crate separated from the uncrated dog?

Just curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: New puppy and older dog

I have both Maggie and Dakotas crates in my bedroom. Copper stays in the livingroom or hallway most of the time. She doesn't bother them at all...
    If you are worried about Otis bothering the new puppy put the crate in a room that you can put a baby gate in the door way.
    Good luck!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Does the uncrated dog bother the crated one? Should you keep the crate separated from the uncrated dog?
    I don't think it matters either way but you'll have to wait and see. If you get a puppy I doubt Otis will bother the pup while it is crated...he'll probably be grateful for the peace and quiet. Even if he did try to bother the crated pup it wouldn't take him long to figure out that his efforts are going nowhere.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I guess I should phrase that another way -- would the puppy seeing Otis wandering around on his own irritate him? Would he be desperate to get out and join him?

The new puppy will get over it Piper and Puzzle are still crated when I go out while Darwin and Scout have the whole finished basement to roam...they just accept that's how it is.

A lot will depend on the personality of the puppy. It would probably be better to keep the crate out of sight of your older dog so the puppy will not become overly excited.
    It will be interesting to hear how your older dog reacts to the puppy. I was given Duke when he was eight months old because the five year old Lab in his original family did not accept him and became very aggressive toward Duke. I can only imagine that the older dog just got fed up with being constantly "attacked" by the energetic puppy.

I'm not so sure dogs think like we do. I can't imagine the puppy thinking "Hmmppf why does Otis get to roam around?" The crate will be all he knows, it's routine etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

Gunny is still crated (he may never be parolled) and Autumn has never been (since he was born) He doesn't seem to care and I don't think she bothers him. I have her bed next to his crate but I think she spends her days on my couch.

Quote Originally Posted by deneen
    I'm not so sure dogs think like we do.* I can't imagine the puppy thinking "Hmmppf why does Otis get to roam around?"* The crate will be all he knows, it's routine etc.* I wouldn't worry about it.
    I'm sure you're right. ;D It's just one of the many things we've thought about.

We don't have a puppy lined up yet - we're still debating the finer points of rescue, shelter, breeder, puppy, older puppy..... I'd really love to have a dog from puppy puppyhood at some point in my life, but Jason isn't sure it's worth it - the cute fuzzy puppy phase is over so quickly. Honestly, I'm not completely sure either.

Technically though, it is MY choice - when it became obvious we wouldn't be having any more children, he DID tell me I could have a puppy after all. And he knows he's now bound to it.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly had run of the house since she was 15 months (she's 3 1/2 yrs now). When we got Abby I had her crate in our family room which is downstairs. Molly stays upstairs when we are at work . This arrangement works & until Abby can be trusted, we will keep it like this. Abby & Molly play alot of bitey face & I think she may get excited seeing Molly walking around the family room.