Not quite ready for sleeping sans crate

Thread: Not quite ready for sleeping sans crate

DefaultNot quite ready for sleeping sans crate

For the last couple of week or so, Stoops has been sleeping in my daughter's room, uncrated. At first it went OK... he pulled a few toys out, dragged some things here and there, but no destruction and mostly sleeping.

The last few nights, it's been hot (we don't have AC, used to not need it in CO!) and it seems to have sent him on a rampage - toys drug out of under bed storage, duplo blox all over the place, and today, a snow storm with huge drifts of shredded tissues. A family of worry dolls perished in the storm... their home was shredded and they were left exposed in the elements. Luckily my daughter slept through the carnage and I got it cleaned up w/o incident.

So, I guess it's back to the crate for the little man. Sigh. I hate to do it since he is no longer going to work with me and is crated for the work day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not quite ready for sleeping sans crate

Ah yes, the carnage a young lab can cause. Usually it works out better for involved if the dog does stay in the crate.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Well it does sound like Stoops had fun! Loved the way you told the story, too!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

It is safer for Stoops to be crated. What if it had been a light cord instead of the tissues that he decided to chew up? :-\ Just play with him a bit before crating him for the day and he will be fine until you get home and let him out again.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

ROFL! We're going though the same thing now with Lexie, to crate or not to crate. We're sticking with the crate for now.

I loved your story, I could almost see those little dolls running for cover.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

HAHAHA Funny story..but I'd be less than thrilled if Buck pulled something like that.

He stays crated during the day when I am at work. Some days I go in during lunch time and let him out for a bit.Then when I get home he is free all evening and goes back into his crate around 10pm on his own to go sleepy. He likes it there. Even in the morning as soon as I pick up my car keys he just heads right into his crate and waits for me to shut the crate door. Weekends he is out and about all day except when it's sleeping time.

If the crate is the right size and he is well exercised I think Stoops will be ok with being in there. It's safer in there for him anyways...may not be as fun though
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

How old?

The crate is safe and you won't ever worry if you did the right thing. I always wonder what if something happend while we were alseep and I wished I would of had him in his crate. When I know that my dog realy dosent mind he goes in without asking and falls asleep .

It's definitely back to the crate! Her room was kid-proofed for cords and such, but clearly still too many things to chew and eat and shred and delight in.

He's a young boy anyway, just 5 months, and he was only out b/c he slept on her bed and made her so happy. But, a crate by the bed will have to suffice. And they'll both sleep well and so will I!