Pet Insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Insurance

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultPet Insurance

I was wondering if anyone here has insurance for their labby? Also is it worth it? I am considering this...just wanted some feedback before I made a decision...

Thanks in advance
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pet Insurance

I got pet insurance for my rescue dog Reggie. When I got him, he was seven so I decided to get some for him since he was heading into seniorhood. For me it was worth it, ~2 months after I got him, he had an obstruction and the insurance paid for his weekend Emergency Vet stay, also covered alot when he got out of the yard and got hit by a car. I guess I might feel different if these two things didn't happen, but it did work out for me.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

I'm torn on insurance for pets....

On the one hand, having coverage for emergencies would be wonderful but on the other hand...

I know what dental insurance has done to the average cost of dental care....in 1983, DH had a root canal and a crown....for about $300.00! No one had even heard of Dental Insurance, you just went and saw the Dentist and got it done. Fast forward to about 8 years later, we now had Dental Insurance through his company.....a root canal and a crown was over $1500.00 and all other costs of care had increased as well.

I fear that as more people get Pet Insurance we will see the average cost of vet care go up as well...from exams to emergency care. Why? Because of the added paperwork the vets will have to do....Dentists had to hire additional office workers to handle the paperwork and vets will likely have to do the same thing. Also, it is human nature to charge what the Insurance Co. will pay....until the insurance companies get all the data in on average and customary charges.....as with the HMO's and PPO"s now in Human Medical Insurance.....

So, as to having pet insurance? It is a very personal decision and one I am still wrestling with.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

to finish my thought..... :

As the vets costs to handle insurance rises and they raise the cost of their services to cover that, the insurance companies will also raise their premiums to accomodate the higher vet prices AND as more people get insurance to cover the higher vet charges the insurance companies will have to hire more workers to handle the paperwork....so, in the end, we will all be forced to have pet insurance in order to even own a healthy pet because ALL the service charges will increase.....Vicious Circle!

So, even though I'm debating at the moment, I believe that eventually I'll have no choice but to purchase, at whatever exhorbitant premium that may by that time be, Pet Insurance.....

hmm good point on the costs...
    I do have a separate account where I put away some from every pay check for Buck for any emergencies. But it's not the same as an insurance coverage. I mean I just had an emergency expense concerning him. Now my Buck savings has dwindled down significantly. God forbid something comes up soon I will have to dip in else where...
    Am i making sense?
    AHH Choices and decisions! :

Pet Insurance if you have one dog can be reasonable but if you have multiple dogs then it can become the same as a car payment. You have to choose between insurance that will take care of emergencies and not regular care OR regular care and not emergencies. Either way if you have multiple dogs sometimes you might just be better off to pay what you would to the insurance co. into a savings account and use it for big vet bills.

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately I don't know what it covers and what it does not. Right now at the $10,000 + mark on Tank I sometimes which I had.
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

Quote Originally Posted by The Texas Tank
    Unfortunately I don't know what it covers and what it does not.* Right now at the $10,000 + mark on Tank I sometimes which I had.
    That's the thing...you just never know... :
    I am looking for something that covers emergencies especially. You just never know when those can strike. I do put money aside for him but it takes time to collect a significant amount. hmmm decisions decisions...this is what sucks about being a grown up :P

With the crew that I have I really looked into this and didn't find that it would suit me. They are sticklers on what they will and won't cover and which vets they will cover. So referrals to local universities may not be covered. The other thing is they can have a life time limit and some are NOT that high. Not a good thing if you have a run of bad luck with your dog. All things to look into and ask questions about before you buy.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

This is very interesting...

I went through the same thought processes after Angus' obstruction ($2,500). I admit I didn't investigate it thoroughly. I let Consumer Reports make up my mind for me. They are of the belief that you are better off socking money aside, as you have been doing, than paying the premiums.

I dunno. ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast