IN DIRE NEED OF ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IN DIRE NEED OF ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trixietroot Guest

DefaultIN DIRE NEED OF ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'

Long story short - a friend of ours has been rooming with us - as well as his dog.* About 2 mos ago the dog, Buckeye, started barking at the neighbors (especially their youngest child)...last week I was going out to do yard work and after I opened the door (I realized the neighbors youngest was outside - 2nd grader) I knew Buckeye was gonna make a B line for him so I started running down the stairs and yelling at him and sure enough when I got out there the kid was in his garage with Buckeye at the edge of it barking with his hackles up.* With that being said, the family next door is freaking out the dog will attack any of them.* To appease the neighbors Buckeye will be staying with relatives 7 hours away...UNACCEPTABLE TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!* Now, I have read many an article on english bred labs and if I am reading this right.* Any lab will bark at passers by as well as strangers and neighbors.*

It turns out our neighbors have never met the dog that has been with us for 6mos.* Our other neighbors and their 4 kids on the other side of us - can just walk into our yard and Big B won't do anything except try his hardest to find a ball and make them throw it before they make it to our house.* NO KIDDING...good times, good times.* *I don't want the dog to leave, we have two dogs of our own who get along great with him (have you ever seen a rat terrier and a white lab play?) my daughter is crushed that Buckeye will be visiting his "grandparents" for a while.

I was thinking of "introducing" the family to Buckeye so he is okay with it and hopefully they will be.* But do you think he might bark at them again when he sees them?*

Please any suggestions or comments will help - I have until next weekend to get both my hubby and friend to let him stay.* Thanx!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: IN DIRE NEED OF ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does him being "english bred" have anything to do with this?

What are you asking?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

trixietroot Guest

he is an english bred lab (which I read were calmer than american bred)...I was hoping for suggestions on keeping the dog at the house and getting the dog and neighbors to be okay with each other.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

If I am reading this right, the dog has lived with you for 6 mnths, but the problems started 2 months ago? It is specific to this kid? Not anoy other children? Sounds like the child did something to the dog. Keep the dog away from the child. If the dog does hurt the child, no matter what the child hs done to the dog, the dog will be killed, as a viscous dog. Don;t take a chance with your dog.

If you're going to keep this dog around, you need to work on door manners (i.e. he doesn't go out them until on a leash and released) and nip the barking in the butt. It sounds like this dog hasn't been very well socialized, especially to kids so you also want to work on that.

PS. The only labs that are "english" are the one's born in england and there are no "white labs", only yellow

trixietroot Guest

He does bark at strangers walking by as well as other neighbors who haven't been introduced to him...and anyone who comes to the door - but he also barks at this family...and it seems to have started with the child.

In your opinion having the family come to the house to visit with us is a bad idea as well?

trixietroot Guest

oopsie on the white labs the dogs owner is gonna be a little ticked as well as the akc...in the 6 1/2 years the dog has been on the planet it hasn't done this - he is very socialized...our neighbors next door have their dog over (black lab) all the time and another neighbor brings hers by to play with Buckeye when we go walking.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

I can only assume by your story that Buckeye hasn't been around kids much in his life - is that correct?
    Have you ever seen Buckeye in the presence of children so you could see how he is?
    I think it's definately worth trying to "introduce" him. Both by bringing him on leash to their house (while they're out in their yard). Just make it real casual at first. Don't even have anyone pet him....just go to make some conversation with the family standing there while he's next to you on a leash. That will give him the chance to observe the kids (riding bikes, running around, etc) all while he's leashed.

Next day you visit, have them approach Buckeye (while you hold the leash). Watch his body language and always keep it supervised. It may just be a case of some fear/nervousness he's feeling because the kids are so foreign to him.

It's worth a try - keep us posted!!
    Brenda from Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by trixietroot
    He does bark at strangers walking by as well as other neighbors who haven't been introduced to him...and anyone who comes to the door
    This shows the dog hasn't been socialized very well. I understand that he gets along with the people/dogs you know but that doesn't prove he's socialized...it says he's ok with things he's used to. Whether that family wants to come over and "make nice" with the dog, is completely up to them. Will it help...maybe. Without knowing the dog, I can't say for sure. You could always find a behaviorist in your area to come over and view the situation first hand and they'll be able to offer better, first hand, advice.

trixietroot Guest

I should have written the whole story...The day after Buckeye barked at the neighbors again - I had to watch 4 children under the age of 5. The youngest child was 2 - all she did was sit on buckeye pull his ears and kissed his eyes. The only thing he did was (as always) get his tennis ball for her to throw in the house. He is an extremely socialized dog - both with adults, humans and other dogs.

I will try your advice with the dog outside watching them play - that is a brilliant idea! When the kids are home - they like to ride in the cul-de-sac. I will keep Buckeye on a leash and watch very closely - thank you very much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast